Large Scale Central

turnout size/number

Pete Lassen said:

looking at turnouts for my RR and I am trying to figure out how to compare brands when the all use different designations. looking at 332 brass, USA has a #6 which looks like a very large, easy diverging route turnout. LGB has a R8, Piko has a R5, Aristo has A #6 and a x wide and AML has a 8ft radius . Which are best size to use, trying to stay over 10’ diameter on all curves if that helps. I am not wanting brand comparisons, I have been told go as big as possible to make switching tracks easy, just what designation to look for that the different brands have

Above are prototype numbered switches. Model switches with an R designation are based on a circle of track.

Although there is an easement curve between the two tangents the numbered switch is made of straight tracks.

There is little rhyme or reason with radius in inches on track made to mm. They are approximations… and each manufacturer has their own system.

Numbered switches mean; a #4; 1 unit of divergence in 4 units traveled. A number 6 takes 6 units of travel before 1 unit of divergence is reached.

Sectional/toy switches have a tangent and a curve so that circle layouts can be made. A Numbered switch won’t make a smooth circle.

What you use depends on the style of your layout. Sectional track or flex?

John

Hi Pete,

The first line of your question was…

“looking at turnouts for my RR and I am trying to figure out how to compare brands when the all use different designations.”

I found this comparison chart on the Trainli website. I’m not sure how accurate it is.

http://www.trainli.com/categories/listing/29

Hope this helps.

Adam

Adam, that is sort of accurate… it focuses more on the curvature to match than the actual frog number/angle.

I know for sure (and I am friends with Axel, the owner of Train-Li) that the Train-Li R7 is not quite a #6 frog.

Also comparing a prototype type switch (USAT #6 and Aristo #6) to a switch that has a curved diverging route (LGB, PIKO, most Train-LI) is not a direct comparison.

But that chart gives you a bit of a start.

I have a chart at the top of this page: http://www.elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=328&Itemid=366 that shows the frog number for LGB.

It’s a tough thing to fully fathom.

Greg

I would hope that Axle would review that chart. I am aware of 2’ radius (4’ diameter) switches, but not 1’ radius. I am surprised that Greg didn’t catch that.

Like I said, I’m friends with Axel, so I’m just saying that chart needs a bit of work.

LGB R1 is 2’ radius, 4’ diameter. If you look at the Train-Li chart looks like the R1 “row” is a complete mistake, implying that everyone makes a 1’ radius track or switch.

Again, while the title of the chart is “switches” it’s more appropriate for track, except the Aristo X-wide switch has a #4 frog, but has a diverging leg that matches 5’ radius.

the entries for Aristo and USAT #6 are ok, in that they match a 14’ diameter curve pretty well… but then again, these switches are close approximations of prototypes, and the rails from the frog are straight not curved.

Greg

I wish someone would make a 1 foot radius switch. Make my life a lot easier. But then I wouldn’t have the fun of trying to figure it out myself.

Devon, I just wanted a 2 foot radius, 4 foot diameter switch in stainless. I asked Louis if he was ever going to make any, and he said “Never”. I appreciated his honesty, even though that wasn’t the answer I was looking for.

Ok I think I get it, #6 or#8 are better for operating what I plan to run, 70’s to 80’s diesel with mostly 40to 60ft cars, no bi level auto racks and 5 unit well cars, and probably no SD 70 locomotives, although I really like the WP and MP heritage units.

Greg on a side note, in your yard, is that first track after entering the yard even usefull for anything? I guess maybe cabooses(cabeese) or something like the beer can tank cars, After you point it out I can see how difficult it would be for most cars to make those 2 turnouts. Did you change that part?

I for one have no problem with thread drift, Others ask questions that i would not have thought of, and It seems to me I can learn more from a thread that drifts like this one did, If someone just answered my question, there would be no chance to know Dave and Greg have GI Joe dolls with Kung Fu Grip!

It is the banter, the back and forth here, that glues this bunch together. Without it, this place would be very boring.

Do Dave and Greg really have GI Joe dolls?

GI Joes? that’s for young folks. i still got the good old "Big Jim"s.

(even if beside a Barbie they look like Stallone beside Nielsson…)

Are you kidding Steve? I like Barbie’s !!!

Greg