Large Scale Central

Turnout operation

This may seem like a simple question, If you use battery power on a layout, What do most use for switch operation? I know there are manual, electric and air powered switches. I am not looking to start a range war I want to know what most of you use, I have seen that some with track power use air to control the switches, so it may not be a simple answer,but now that things are starting to take shape i would like to know others thoughts. I am still in planning phase, so all helpful information is welcome.

On air switches, I have heard people mention them, but have not done much research on them as to what you need for a compressor etc… anyway, Thanks, Pete

Every layout I have played on has manual throws. Bend down and flip them. Now not having my own layout I can’t tell you what I do but I can tell you what I plan to do and that is have manual throws. Why? reliability/cost/ease of installation. I have never played with the others but the more parts the more that can go wrong.

I might put some fancy manual switch stand on them because they look cool though. I like Ozarks Harp stand. i bought one for playing on my indoor layout and they are nicely done, easy to operate and would do the job.

http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=138

The Bluestone Southern was designed for operations, which requires train crews to follow their train, check switch alignment and uncouple/couple cars, so all the switches are manual throws…

I’m thrilled I don’t have to bend over to throw switches and can throw one across the yard if need be.

As I have wireless remote control, the switches are also remote control.

The pneumatic system is very reliable, insensitive to moisture, etc. and has very positive throw.

I have a page on my site with some info: http://www.elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91:air-operated-switches&catid=20:track&Itemid=116

I have all manual throw turnouts. Why, you ask? Because I model a branchline that has no use for CTC, and therefore, expects the brakemen to bend the iron. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. Also, because I’m cheap thrifty.

I know that Dave Goodson’s Colorado Consolidated also uses manual throw turnouts, with two exceptions in hard to get to places. There he uses pneumatic.

i am using electric switches on my analogue layout.

either with buttons at the command center, or automatized by LGB-epl system.

I use the Crest Revolution to control my switches. The control card is enclosed in a water tight box, LGB switch motors work well with

this system, been out there for 3 years now.

Kevin

Steve Featherkile said:

I have all manual throw turnouts. Why, you ask? Because I model a branchline that has no use for CTC, and therefore, expects the brakemen to bend the iron. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. Also, because I’m cheap thrifty.

I like the last part, being cheap thrifty with my money on these parts will allow more to be spent on other things that can be more fun.

I just answered a Craigslist ad am now the proud owner of about 150ft of mostly AML track, and 10pcs of 10’ diameter curve track. A boxcar and a old tank car, plus he threw into the deal a trestle and a truss bridge and 4or5 Bents and a trackside shanty. So things are getting started for me Whoo Hoo!

Pete, we are talking outdoors right?

Arid climate I would assume. High temps? Also would the switch “motors” ever get submerged? (yeah guys I saw Arizona, but they have monsoon season, and not every layout has good drainage everywhere).

Greg

Yes Greg, outside Phoenix area, mostly dry, but a heavy monsoon can make a couple of the track areas kinda submerged for an hour or 2, Dang heavy clay soil, but rarely does anything stay really wet for any long periods of time, and most areas will be "higher " ground. I can get by with a manual in the area that is prone to staying wet if need be, it is close to patio and will mostly be an industrial area.

You ain’t a kidding about monsoon, Greg. I took a drive out that way in my 58 MGA sans top. Who knew about monsoon, it was CAVU and 78°F in Sandy Eggo. The rains hit and I thought I was gonna drown. There was no shelter, anywhere. I can see why waterboarding could be upsetting.

Our monsoons will wash silt into the boxes and mud and gravel will fill the throw bar area. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)Check the flange ways before running as well.

John

Pete Lassen said:

I just answered a Craigslist ad am now the proud owner of about 150ft of mostly AML track, and 10pcs of 10’ diameter curve track. A boxcar and a old tank car, plus he threw into the deal a trestle and a truss bridge and 4or5 Bents and a trackside shanty. So things are getting started for me Whoo Hoo!

Sweet

double post

The switches on my 2 reverse loops are spring switches. When I add in my spur in a week or so, it will use the Bachmann ground throw, because the brakeman needs to get off his duff, and set the brakes, and uncouple the cars, so he can bend the iron too.

Thanks David, I have read some on the spring switches and for loops they sound like a good way to go.Still not sure how things will be as far as loops or reverse loops so, are they difficult to make work, is it just on how you set the spring?

Pete,

What will your power source be. ( here we go again) that will make add to your decision on reversing loops. Track power (not sure on DCC) will require isolation. Battery power not issue. Also there is a flop version that David can help you with. Springs always throw the switch to one side. Flop switches alternate.

Probably battery Devon, still have not made up my mine but leaning toward battery.

I know with battery reverse loops are no issue. I don’t know what it takes with track power.