Large Scale Central

Tunnel Building

My goal this summer was to complete the inside loop of track on my layout. I started laying down the left over lattice from my original layout last summer to give the inside loop a good base even though the track will float on top of the lattice. After a close survey I realized that I needed to construct 1 tunnel and a cut-though before I could continue with the rest of the track laying.
I dugout the area for the tunnel and the cut, made a couple new pieces of lattice roadbed, and installed the lattice. The first picture showes the tunnel area ready for the tunnel sides and track.

The second picture shows the lattice exiting the tunnel area (lower right) and continuing through the cut in the center.

The third picture showes the tunnel sides. One is painted and the other one is raw material. These are made out of cedar.

The last picture showes the tunnel sides and the track installed. The track inside the tunnel is attached to the lattice while the rest of the track will float over the top of the lattice. Hopefully I can install the tunnel top this weekend, then cover the entire tunnel with black plastic, and fill in the dirt. I still have to make the portals and the side pieces but that will be later as I have one more tunnel to dig before I can complete the inside loop and start laying track. More pictures to follow.

I wondered why we hadn’t seen much of you lately around here, looks like you have been really busy.

Hope you get the tunnels in before the snow flies.

Rick

nice work what did you use to build your lattice roadbed also looks like you have a nice tractor to use on the railroad.

richard

Chuck Inlow said:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/IMG_8937_1_1.JPG)

What’s that tubing for? Irrigation or wiring?

Ken, that tube is for the still. :slight_smile:

That’ll be a good looking tunnel when it is all done. So many including myself don’t bother to make the inside look good and it looks weird in videos.
Even though it is made out of cedar I would still be worried about it going into the ground and rotting in like 5 years. Would wrapping it in plastic help? How about getting some of that spray that seals things, you know the kind where the guy sprays the bottom of his boat which just happens to be made out of a screen door.?
Keep up the good work

Richard - my lattice is constructed out of redwood. I use 2x material and I cut it into 1/4" wide strips 8 to 10 feet long. The blocks are 1-1/2" wide by 2" long and are placed 6" apart. All my lattice is made on jigs in the shop for what ever radius I want or straight section. The jigs are made out of 3/8" plywood base and have 1-1/2" round closet rod material that is 2" long with a hole drilled in the center for a screw. These round pieces are screwed into the plywood base on the centerline at 6" spacing. I clamp a piece if 1/4" material to the jig and glue and staple a block in between each jig. Then I glue and staple another piece of 1/4" material to the other side of the blocks. The final operation is to glue and staple another piece if 1/4" material to both side making the final thickness 1/2" on the outside pieces. It sounds hard but it only takes me about 30 min to make a 8 or 10 foot section. See photo of jig.
(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/_forumfiles/IMG_5414_1_1.JPG)

Ken - the tubing that you see is the irrigation system on the layout for watering the plants. It use to be a drip system but it kept plugging up even with filters because our irrigation water comes from a local lake. So we installed small shrub heads that spray a larger distance and keep everything watered better.

Hey Rick,
Been busy finishing up all the sprinklers that you guys saw when you were here in June. Now I just need to bring in the top soil and have the grass seed sprayed on and by Spring we should have a nice lawn around most of the railroad. It just means more lawn to mow but it should be alot cooler by the layout.

Todd - the entire top and side sections of the tunnel will be covered in thick black plastic and then I will back fill around it with the dirt. If it only last’s 5 years thats OK with me.

Real Redwood! Have not been able to get that around hear in ages!

Layout’s looking nice!

Looking really good Chuck. Is that tunnel going to have clearance for the K27 or are the curves on this branch too tight? Just checking.

Ron

Hey Ron,

The clearance on the rough opening is 7-3/4" wide and 9-3/4" high above the top of the track. But the minimum diameter curve is 10 foot that you see in the second picture shown above all the rest of the curves are larger. You can take a look at it after our club meeting on Saturday.

Chuck

Well I thought I would update everyone. I got the top on the tunnel, covered it with black plastic, and back filled the dirt on the sides of the tunnel. I also got all the cedar cut for the tunnel portals and the side wings. I’m going to stain all the cedar with an Ebony colored stain before I assemble everything so this will take me a couple of days before I start putting everything together.
I will get some pictures of what I have done tomorrow after our club meeting and get them posted.

Have a great weekend playing with your trains.

Chuck

Is it done, yet?

Without pictures it doesn’t count. HeHeHe.

Ha Ha Ha Ron, you and Steve are really funny. No, it’s not done and I aint doing pictures. So there. But I better see both of you at the club meeting tomorrow.

Looks good Chuck. I like a raised up layout. I had some of that little sprinkler stuff, but finally gave up on it when I got the lawn sprinkler system installed, it sprays on the layout real nice.

…(http://www.freethoughtnation.com/components/com_comment/joscomment/emoticons/funny/images/smile.png)…

Chuck
Looks very good, what technique are you using for the walls in the cut out.
Dennis

Well I got the first tunnel portal and both wings finished yesterday, stained them, and let them dry until this evening. I just finished installing them and wanted to post a few more pictures of the progress.
The first picture shows an overview of the tunnel with the top on, covered in black plastic, and partically back filled with the portal installed.
(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/IMG_8957_1_1.JPG)

The second picture shows the front entrance of the tunnel with the portal and wings installed. I also placed some rocks on either side of the wings to help hold the dirt back.
(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/IMG_8952_1_1.JPG)

The third picture is a ground view showing part of the inside of the tunnel. The track is in place and has been ballasted. I need to finish back filling around this end of the tunnel and place additional rocks.
(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/IMG_8956_1_1.JPG)

The last picture is looking from a distance at the tunnel. Track still needs to be installed along with a small station, water tower, and a couple of buildings.
(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/IMG_8951_1_1.JPG)

Hopefully I can get the other portal and wings made this weekend. I have to start cutting redwood for the remaining lattice I need for the track going over the top of this tunnel, but I think I’ll put that in another post so I can show how I make my lattice. Untill next time, enjoy!!!

Looks fantastic… :slight_smile: