Large Scale Central

Tufboard closeouts at Home Depot?

Hi, Folks -

This is my first post after enjoying the information here for quite a while.

I’m in the midst of building my first layout, using ladder roadbed made from Tufboard. I’ve been using the “1 x 2” (actually 3/4 x 1-1/2) stringers for the ladder sides.

When I went to the local Home Depot last week for more Tufboard, it was clear that something was different. The inventory was pretty picked over, and the all the regular price signs were replaced with special yellow tags. The sale prices were a lot less than normal.

They didn’t have any of the 1x2’s that I had been using, but they still had 1x8’s. The first time I went, the 8 foot lengths were marked down to $9.00, then when I went back a few days later they were only $6.00. I bought all they had. For comparison, the 1x2 8-footers had previously been about $6, so the effective cost (after ripping the 1x8’s into four stringers) is a full 75% less!

The bad news, of course, is it looks like Home Depot (at least here in the SF Bay Area) may be discontinuing Tufboard. Not all the local stores ever carried it, but at least 2 have this closeout in place. (The Emeryville store is pretty cleaned out. Santa Clara still has a fair selection of 12-foot lengths at severe discounts.)

So, if you are planning on using Tufboard for any upcoming projects and expected to just pick it up at the local HD, you might want to check it out sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps…

Kent

Hello Kent, and welcome aboard. Not in your area but thanks for the heads up. Not often a first post is informative.

Dave

Interesting. I’ll stop tomorrow at lunch.

Kent,
First of all welcome.
I have seen this before at our local H.D. during my building process several years ago and was pretty ticked off. I inquired as to the reasoning for such and the response I got " we just got a large order of Trimplank in and it’s the same". My response " actually it is not, as the dimensions are different ".
I purchased the Trimplank and it worked very well for what I was doing at the time. But returned a few weeks later to find a fresh new stock of Tufboard. Personally I think its a purchasing game not that Tufboard is being discontinued and if it is there are MANY options out there. I have played with lots of composite materials not only for roadbed but for structures,bridges,etc. and each has it’s own pros and cons depending on application but all can be adapted or retro fitted to one another either way.

Evening All,
My local Home Depot here in Western New Jersey is replacing the TufBoard with their knock-off material, because of pricing.
It is a H. D. P. E. (High-density polyethylene) product that looks the same, and sold in 20’ lengths.
I just can’t account for the quality but seems to get a good turn-over with the local contractors.
It is very common to use this stuff around garage doors openings and any brick-work projects.
If your local HD is not carrying, ask at the PRO desk (not the Service desk) why not? and get an answer.
Pretty much a standard building material for any lumber yard.
Kent, It may be California thing for the shortages.
(From a Recovering Home Depot Lumber Associate)
Happy Hunting

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome and comments.

I’m actually pretty well set in terms of my own ladder makings. Like I said, when it hit 75% off, I stocked up. I’ve now got more than enough Tufboard for the remainder of my initial phase (i.e. enough to support all the track I can rationalize right now - and then some!). I’m glad to have some more of the wider stock for other building projects, too.

Thanks, David R. for the reassurance that other materials will work fine. Still, it’s nice to be able to keep building without having to mix and match right now. I’m not relishing all the plastic sawdust when I rip it down to size, but I’ll definitely put up with it given the cost savings.

Bob’s comment that HD is going to replace Tufboard with its own brand seems very believable. The stores here in N. Calif. may simply not have it yet.

Mostly, I just wanted to give folks a heads-up to save a few bucks and/or avoid getting skunked.

• Kent

I’m thinking Boob’s and Pink Panties with suspenders.
:wink:

David Russell said:
I'm thinking Boob's and Pink Panties with suspenders. ;)
David did you go shopping and get a new outfit? :) Andy made me do it.

Geoff, It’s about time you chimed in with more than Christmes lights :wink: :slight_smile:

Note too self… Mr George is now in the game!
:slight_smile:
Game on!

Geoff George said:
David Russell said:
I'm thinking Boob's and Pink Panties with suspenders. ;)
David did you go shopping and get a new outfit? :) Andy made me do it.
Is this a train site or an alternative lifestyle channel? Planning a Costume party at York?
Bart Salmons said:
Is this a train site or an alternative lifestyle channel? Planning a Costume party at York?
Possibly? You have the alternative lifestyle channel?

Roosters, weedeaters…jumpercables…peach preserves…wait…what?

Bart Salmons said:
Roosters, weedeaters....jumpercables.........peach preserves....wait...what?
LMAO...... sounds like your gonna have a killer outfit for York this year!

I checked my local HD yesterday. They were fully stocked with TufBoard. It sells pretty well here. They actually expanded the product lines and added Azek trim boards which was sitting next to the TufBoard section.

-Brian

Brian Donovan said:
I checked my local HD yesterday. They were fully stocked with TufBoard. It sells pretty well here. They actually expanded the product lines and added Azek trim boards which was sitting next to the TufBoard section.

-Brian

Exactly the same here, but I didn’t notice any Azek. Spring expansion plans are safe !!

I love the Azek trim board have built a few things with it.