Large Scale Central

Tuf Board spline roadbed

Warren,
Great picture! I agree, that is should look well “shopped”. Which the last pictures you showed looked very good. But if the shop foreman says there is no more time to waste on lalbor on this job and there is no more paint avaialble, its still marked a complete job.

Time to exhaust your energy and brain cells on that braking van.

Warren,

Get a spray can of Krylon boxcar brown colored primer. Spray two light coats and, bada-bing, bada-boom, you are done!

The Krylon dries almost as soon as it hits the surface. As Joe Garigerola says, “No runs, no drips, no errors.”

That fast drying has been my problem. The roof is a rather large (simi) flat area. The darn rattle cans don’t have a wide enough of a spray pattern to give good coverage without showing overspray. I’ve just picked up some industrial paint from Big R which needs several hours to dry to touch. Hopefully that will stop the problem. Otherwise it’s time to get out the real sprayer.

Ric, my shop forman is a perfectionist. He’s saying it isn’t Labor Day yet so get out the sander and do the job right! The brakevan/caboose isn’t scheduled for build until spring of '08.

Ah, yes, Cheop’s Law.

Nothing gets built on time or within budget. :smiley:

SteveF

Warren Mumpower said:
That fast drying has been my problem. The roof is a rather large (simi) flat area. The darn rattle cans don't have a wide enough of a spray pattern to give good coverage without showing overspray. I've just picked up some industrial paint from Big R which needs several hours to dry to touch. Hopefully that will stop the problem. Otherwise it's time to get out the real sprayer.

Ric, my shop forman is a perfectionist. He’s saying it isn’t Labor Day yet so get out the sander and do the job right! The brakevan/caboose isn’t scheduled for build until spring of '08.

Warren,

That long??

Holy Moly, best exit the workshop or if there’s some dust settling … it will be “three times charmed” :wink: :lol:

Oh another idea… have you tried hammertone?

I could most likely solve the problem if I wanted simi flat black…but I don’t. I want silver. Cane locomotive roofs are either white, silver or yellow. As this is a tropical area any other color would bake the crew alive.

You guy’s are too much! Wasn’t this Bob’s thread?..LOL
Warren does not want simi flat black. He want’s silver ?
Back in the day, the crew had no choice color wise what they operated, it was a job . If they fry in the engine they fry? Next thing ya’ know were gonna have lace valances in the cab windows with a gold rope tassle hangin from the horn chain!
Color can drive a man insane…Try figuring color scheme’s for an old victorian on a main street that eveyone will judge!
Trains are my sanity …not my insanity…once again your guys are too much!
But since we have a slight thread jackin here I will ask… Crest or Bridgeworks for a power supply only. I’m leaning towards Mr. Sauerwald’s product?
Honestly I would like to see how Bob’s makin out.
Can you hear me now Bob?

Dave

HAH! I was just going to post and get back on topic!..

I’ve straightened, er, curved, um…fixed the radius on that curve, and added another 60 or so feet of single-spline to the end of it. I need to add the second spline part, and then line and level it. Gonna be a busy weekend if the weather holds.

David, we can make our stories fit the situation. That’s part of our fantasy. But the reality is that this locomotive has a rather large and expensive controller board sandwiched between 2 deep cycle 12v batteries. With only limited airflow I need to do all I can to keep it cool inside the locomotive so I don’t get heat damage. A black roof would send the temps soaring.

As for Bob, I last saw him discussing his climax derailing on bad trackwork. :confused:

Warren,
Go to the mobile home repair parts store and get a quart of that silver goop they use for painting roofs.
Then you would have a nice, thick, and waterproof silver roof.

TOG

Last I checked Steel was waterproof…until it rusts through. I’m not looking for the rustic, rundown, and worn out look. I’m looking for the well maintained, financially sound, run by people with pride look. The locomotive isn’t leaving the shop looking any less than like new.