Large Scale Central

Trying TrainOps again - have a question or two

I downloaded the latest version, then made some changes to my set-up. I dumped all of my 1:29/1:24 cars & locos and put in all my 1:20 stuff. I added a new industry at the new siding and got rid of industries located on the Wye. I now basically have an origination yard, 3 industries and a destination yard. I changed the physical layout so that it flows from the originating yard , through the wye and past the industries ending at the destination yard. Both yards are indoors. A single Daily out-and-back train was made up that services all the industries.

So far it seems to be working well except one industry is not being served. It is looking for loaded hoppers and tanks. There is one of each loaded in the destination yard. I think I can force delivery if I originate a train in that yard - I’ll try that next.

The questions I have are…

Do I need to create a train that runs the layout in reverse order in order to get cars out of the destination yard?

If a car comes back to the yard empty, does it become a load again the next day?

EDIT to add that I tried adding a train and that did it. Still curious about empties to loads though.

I guess I have answered my own questions by playing with the program and running trains. Adding a Westbound train solved the problem of getting cars out of the destination yard. By using the program I have figured out that the load/empty state automatically changes as the date advances (depending on how the industry time to load/unload is set).

Overall, I’m now having a lot of fun with TrainOps. It is working well for me. Sunday I ran two trains and did the same tonight plus a sweeper train to bring all the spotted cars indoors. I’ve learned where I need to tweak sidings and loco capacity. I’ve also learned that I need more cars!

A big Thank You to Bob for all the work you have put into this and to Bruce and Ken for all the “beta” testing time they have put in. The end product is really starting to shape up :smiley:

Wow, I don’t know how I missed this post. Yea, trains “magically” change their state depending on needs on the RR, and how long the industry takes to load/unload a car.

Always need more cars. Bruce and I were VERY surprised at how many you need to keep full trains. And once I get off-layout cars working again, that goes up even more!

Right now I’m doing a lot of back-end work, and updating, mostly to make MY life modifying the code easier going forward. :slight_smile:

One other thing, and I think this was discussed up at your place, was that some sidings are getting more cars then they can handle.

As an example, yesterday I ran an ops session and Delores yard had every car on the RR parked in it. It’ll only handle about 8. Mancos on occasion, will get 4 cars in the siding and can only handle 2. (But I also like the fact that I can “check” or “un-check” cars if there are too many, so that comes in handy.)

I also haven’t figured out the difference between and “industry pick-up” and a “non-industry pick-up” on the same siding.

(OK, maybe that’s 2 other things)…:wink:

OK, if we are going to list bugs here…

The form 19 formatting is all goofy; it uses too large of a font that doesn’t work with the background form.

The train orders don’t print with the same loco / caboose selected in the Build Train screen.

Neither is a high priority, but something I noticed.

I haven’t had the too many cars problem except where my siding measurements were wrong. I’ll blame that on me, not the program :slight_smile: