I have been in this hobby for just over two years now. I am big into using whats around the house. It is hard to believe how much I have learned and different ways to use common products for detailing or building things. A lot of this stuff is either learned from someone else or something you might have had around the shop. It would be good to have a list and maybe put into the Articles sections a list of common materials around the house or hardware store that can be used for modeling. That way next time someone is looking for a way to make or detail something without having to spend a lot they can use this list. Here is a list of things I have learned from others or myself
- Boot lace for a hose
- Sew on snaps for an on/off knob
- Thread reel for a hose or cable reel
- Soda can, film canister for a steam donkey
- Large coffee can for a water tower
- Coffee stir sticks for siding etc…
- Masking tape for a tar roof
- Using common spray paints for weathering etc… (like the krylon rudy brown and camo colors)
- Bottle caps from beer/soda and using for signs on buildings etc…
- Using any basic flatcar to build anything one can imagine.
- Plastic headed push pin for a hose nozzle
More will come to mind but im sure those of you in the hobby much longer will have other great ideas please share.