Large Scale Central

Trex type decking to Build trestles

General question,
Has anyone tried to rip trex style decking up to scale and build a trestle out of it?

Just wondering. Pros and Cons.

Thank you,

Nico

Not for a trestle, but I use composite ties. The stuff is pretty flexible, so I’d make sure you have plenty of bracing and all.

PVC Foam board (Tuff Board, Trim Plank, Azek, Intecel etc.) is a little more stable, but still quite flexible. It will probably take paint better which it will need since it only comes in white.

It would probably be less costly to use Western Red Cedar, or something similar that is indigenous to your area. A friend of mine build his out of discarded pallets that he cut to size and soaked in used motor oil for a few days. So far, it has lasted more than 20 years, with an every now and then spritzing of more used motor oil.

The problem with Trex and the other synthetic woods is that it has no torsional strength. It will sag unless it is well supported. You will end up with a trestle that looks like a series of “U’s” after a while.

Believe it or not, ripping Trex to scale lumber is really hell on saw blades.
I know, I tried.
I use cedar and redwood. They haven’t been down for 20 years yet.
I’ll let you know in 13 years.

Nico for our area cedar works great. Just throw some thompson water seal on it every few years. Good to see you on here.

If you do cut it, be sure to wear a dust mask - that plastic is definitely not good for the lungs.

A trex board has an A side and a B side.
It is cupped somewhat.
Trying to run a short piece thru a planer to even it out it will ruin your expensive blades in no time.

Trex has no lateral strength either.

My other concern about Trex is what glue would you use to hold it together? Or do you just pin nail everything?

Garrett said:
Trex has no lateral strength either.
As stated ...there is no grain so no lateral strength and it will support nothing at those ripped down dimensions not even itself. ....Trex can be glued was various things but my favorite is a 3M adhesive.

Yes, snaps like a frozen fish stick. I had some thin strips left over from ripping a few boards for a project here, and they broke themselves.

The cost is prohibitive also, wholsale price on the stuff here (the good kind, not the Lowes/Home Depot dreck) is around $2.50 a foot.