Large Scale Central

Trestles in a ladder system

do you have something like this in mind?

it is minimalistic. just sticks and nails.

here is the building protocol:
http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/21015/a-trestle-bridge/view/page/1

Steve Featherkile said:

OK, do you have frost heave problems, jb?

Nope. Everything is floating. Even the bridges and trestles are floating. I do have track movement in the winter, tho.

John Bouck said:

Steve Featherkile said:

OK, do you have frost heave problems, jb?

Nope. Everything is floating. Even the bridges and trestles are floating. I do have track movement in the winter, tho.

That’s what I thought. I’ve dug a few holes in Post Falls in my youth, and there was nothing to give concern about frost heave.

FYI: Trestles 001;

Square timbers are set on a sill.

Round pilings are driven into the ground fat end first.

John

John Bouck said:

" The Rathdrum Prairie is almost all sandy loam."

Apparently you’ve never dug a hole in the Rathdrum prairie, Steve.

Or the Spokane Valley. All the rocks left by the Great Ice Age Flood are deposited there.

I wish it was sandy loam. Then I wouldn’t have had to haul in 12 yards of topsoil for my new front yard.

Just sayin’…

I Have about 8-10 inches of to soil before 300 feet of rock gravel and sand

So thanks for all help.

I have decided on a five pile open frame design like this one

Using this for dimensions (only narrowed for narrow guage)

I will be using round piles. I started out thinking 3 feet of length and 12 1/2 rail to rail hieght. So I started cutting out the wood and laying it out and 3 feet was whimpy it is now 5’ 5" and in order to get the height and look I wanted I went to 14 1/2 rail to rail height. It increased my overall grade to 1.6% instead of 1.5% I think I can live with it.

Devon just in case you need some more info, I found this a great resource as well. http://4largescale.com/trains/trestle.htm
And thanks to Bob Hyman for putting this together. One of our very own here at LSC.

Devon, my railroad is 2.58%, and I can still run decent trains with most of my locomotives. I have a Bachmann 2-4-2 that can’t haul enough to earn its keep, but she is the exception, not the rule.

David Maynard said:

Devon, my railroad is 2.58%, and I can still run decent trains with most of my locomotives. I have a Bachmann 2-4-2 that can’t haul enough to earn its keep, but she is the exception, not the rule.

Yeah I wasn’t worried I really felt I could go to at least 2% but with what I had going there would be no need. 1.5% I considered very safe and would give me plenty of room to fudge like I did.

Heck in my first n scale layout I went 4.5%.

Randy McDonald said:

Devon just in case you need some more info, I found this a great resource as well. http://4largescale.com/trains/trestle.htm
And thanks to Bob Hyman for putting this together. One of our very own here at LSC.

Most excellent resource. I will have to review it but I think I have it down. Those Great Northern plans are a dream. Made it very easy.