Large Scale Central

Tree Rats

Quote:
They have a tendency to melt the cooking pot.............
There's your mistake. They're self cooking; you don't use a pot.

You know what’s missing here, don’t you? A recipe for fleas.

Ralph Berg said:
Geoff George said:
Andy Clarke said:
Geoff, you went back for 4ths......... hehehe
You said it was chicken. :(
That should have been your first clue ;) Ralph
When I was growing up everything my dad cooked, we were told was chicken. Then when I got older and had chicken cooked by my first wife - it never tasted like Dad's............looked different too.......

Has anyone tried Fox Urine sprayed around a squirrel nest? I hear that works really well. We have cats - so no squirrel, rat or mouse or bird problems. We did have flea problems from feral kittens (diatamatious earth fixed that) until we got the last female feral spayed. We actually have a bigger problem with coyotes killing pets around here.

Either my local cat’s aren’t interested in the squirrels, or the squirrels are not afraid of them. I have 3 or 4 cats that regularly hang out in my yard and around the RR. There are as many or more squirrels then before the cats moved in.

I’m told the only sure way is trap and drown, but more will keep moving in so it’s a losing battle.

Lately I’m more upset with the crows then the squirrels :slight_smile:

My brother-in-law had a problem with chipmonks. His solution was to live-trap them, then release them in a field that was well-patroled by a red-tailed hawk. Won’t work for everyone, but may give somebody a useful idea.

Another idea concerning coyotes, again not for everyone. There are several farms here in southwestern Virginia that raise alpacas. These folks use llamas and donkeys to protect their alpacas. The llamas and donkeys tend to “adopt” the alpacas, and they will stomp any coyote that dares enter the pasture.

Just my $0.02,
David Meashey

In my experience squirrel populations go in waves. You may be overrun one year and then see very few the next, in a natural ‘feast or famine’ kind of cycle. Applies to foxes, rabbits and other species too, I’m told, but I’ve actually seen it in squirrels 'round here over the past 20 years or so. Case in point: last year we had 'em everywhere we looked; this year I’ve only seen a squirrel once or twice.

Have you ever heard of a “12 Gauge”, they work great!!!

12 gauge works great - unless your in a community that frowns on gun fire…but I find that a good airgun that will let you over pump works great. also makes them great target practice. sometimes fun to only pump enough to stun them and then watch as they try to figure out what “bit their b***”

All you really want to do is make them leave and relocate somewhere else. I’ve got an ultrasonic solar power noise maker that goes off when something walks into its range.

Seems to work. I used to have raccoons helping themselves to my goldfish. Haven’t had a problem in over a year!

You just have to alter your relocation strategy.

When you release them, just pop them in the head with your bb gun and they won’t be finding their way back.