Large Scale Central

Tree Rats

Bet Lowe’s loves you John!!! and the people around there! The Regalhttp://

They will surely re-group and come back to get or haunt you!! Hee hee

I’ve given Lowes a break. Taking them to the hobby store now :smiley: As soon as I’m sure I got the two that live in my attic I’ll quit.

Dear All,

An old neighbor found out that 4 miles away was insufficient.

Back they came with their brightly painted tails.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Yes, Jom; make sure you mark every rat that you trap. You can do this by simply giving a quick spray of white paint to the end of their tails.
I’ll bet that if you don’t take the little beggers farther than 10 miles, and across at least two rivers; you are trapping the same rats over and over.

I had the same problem about 5 year ago. I found that a Pellet gun worked very well in take out the rats. Also, the fact that the neighbor got a cat that he lets outside now helps keep them away. one last note. there right about not posining them. had to tear a hole in the wall to get one out. Was not fun.

I have a C02 powered BB Gun. It would have been a piece of cake as they poke there heads out of the hole every morning about 8:30, but that was vetoed by the family. I take them at least 10 miles away, but I wouldn’t put it past them to get back here. I hear they now have GPS and Cell Phones. The white spray paint is a good idea - I might try that.

If you ventured back to page one of this thread, you would read that my neighbor puts food out for them - peanuts in the shell. Squirrels come from miles around to dine on this feast and they leave the shells all over my railroad and front yard.

I did find that they are immune to Carbon Monoxide. I left a full trap by the car exhaust while I warmed it up. Didn’t even phase him. I wonder how well they would do with the trap submerged in a 55 gallon drum of water? I’ll have to wait for warmer weather to try that. Or I could try for that funny squirrel in Ice Age frozen in the center of a block of ice :smiley: :smiley:

I’d go with fluorescent orange spray paint. That way the hawks can spot them as well. :wink:

Jon…

Put the trap, with the rat in it, into a large plastic bag, and then run the automobile exhaust ito it…
I dislike the idea of killing the rats, but they do get to the point of over-population, and there is just no other way. Delivering them to another community just puts the problem into the hands of another Jon Radder, several counties away…he will only have to kill the beggars for you.
After killing them in the plastic bag, just put them into individual plastic bags and deposit them into the garbage.
During the Summer, you can dig a hole in your rose garden, and deposit the bodies there. They make excellent nutrients for the soil.

Yall do realize that tree rats are great to eat???

How many do you want, Andy. I can trap them, freeze them, and give them to Ric at the Invasion for you.
Jon can do the same. I figure that between us, we could have close to 1000 all individualy frozen, and packed for you, by July 19th.
Only charge, will be for the plastic bags and the flea powder.

OH…didn’t I tell you; most of these tree rats are loaded with fleas, and who knows what else…

GRANDPA’S FAVORITE SQUIRREL & GRAVY

1 squirrel, clean & cook
4 c. cold water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Soak squirrel overnight in salt water. Put squirrel in large kettle, cover well with cold water. Add salt and pepper. Cook until tender. (Save about 2 cups of the water (broth) squirrel was cooked in to make the gravy.)

GRAVY:

3 tbsp. flour
2 c. squirrel broth
2 tbsp. grease
3 c. sweet milk

Or, when you have more than one :wink:

SQUIRREL POT - PIE 'A LA MONTAINEER

2 squirrels
1 sm. onion
5 carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces
4 medium potatoes, cut in 1 inch pieces
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Pastry for double crust for 8 x 12 x 2 inch baking dish

Boil the squirrels and onion in water to cover until the meat is tender and will fall off the bones. Boil the potatoes, carrots, and parsley until almost done; save the liquid and set aside to cool. Make a medium thick gravy your favorite way, using the liquid from the squirrel; if needed, use some of the vegetable liquid. While this is cooling, line the baking dish with the pie crust; pour the gravy, squirrel, and vegetables into the shell. Cover with remaining pie crust. Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until crust is brown. Yield: 6 servings.

Fred, most of the fleas come off, when ya wash the tree rats…

Only place I have had the privledge of Tree rat, was back on the farm… When hunters were given permission to go hunt them, they always brought back a few for the property owner… Of, course, this back a ways in time…

Sounds great, bruce…

Andy Clarke said:
Fred, most of the fleas come off, when ya wash the tree rats....

Only place I have had the privledge of Tree rat, was back on the farm… When hunters were given permission to go hunt them, they always brought back a few for the property owner… Of, course, this back a ways in time…

Sounds great, bruce…

What about the ones you were hand feeding? I guess just fattening them up for Sunday dinner. :wink:

Ric Golding said:
Andy Clarke said:

Sounds great, bruce…

What about the ones you were hand feeding? I guess just fattening them up for Sunday dinner. :wink:

Were those the ones served at the club BBQ?

Ric Golding said:
Andy Clarke said:

Sounds great, bruce…

The ones I was hand feeding was in New Jersey… They were radioactive…
They have a tendency to melt the cooking pot…

:slight_smile:

Geoff George said:
Ric Golding said:
Andy Clarke said:

Sounds great, bruce…

Geoff, you went back for 4ths… hehehe

Andy Clarke said:
Geoff George said:
Ric Golding said:
What about the ones you were hand feeding? I guess just fattening them up for Sunday dinner. ;-)
Geoff, you went back for 4ths......... hehehe
You said it was chicken. :(

Throw the trap, rat and all, in a tank of water.
Quicker and less work than gassing them.
Then toss the body over the fence in the feeding neighbor’s yard.
Or skin 'em all and make a hat. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Geoff George said:
Andy Clarke said:
Geoff George said:
Geoff, you went back for 4ths......... hehehe
You said it was chicken. :(
That should have been your first clue ;) Ralph

:slight_smile: Ralph