Large Scale Central

Transport Ideas

I am looking for some ideas for transporting G scale engines and Bachmann coaches. As I have been typing this some suggestions from previous posts have popped up. Upon checking them out it seems most pictures or embedded links don’t work. These posts are also from several years ago.

I have thought about shallow plastic bins from the big box stores…thoughts?

Thanks,
Richard

Sure they will work but I guess you need to be a bit more descriptive on your plans for transport before everyone starts showing pics of their prize loco in a special carrier?

Only my thoughts.

Richard;

I use tool boxes, available at at most large DIY lumber/hardware stores, to transport my #1 gauge live steamers.

While it may seem like overkill, it serves very well for me.

Regards, David Meashey

given the prices of live steam locos, that does not seem overkill to me.
do you use some sponge or other materials to stabilize the locos inside the box?

Korm;

I do cradle the locomotives in chunks of spongy foam and bits of foam sheeting. Can’t put them back into the foam until they are thoroughly cooled.

Regards, David Meashey

P. S. Still transporting the Beyer-Garrett in it’s shipping box. It is a bit long for most tool boxes.

The Container Store has some boxes that take G scale stock - I just got one which handles 4/5 freights.

In the background [inside] you can see a flatcar and a towel. I use old towels wrapped around my lighter objects to protect the details.

You’ll notice the box is 60Q/56.8L. Most of the boxes are sized by volume, so you just have to go and look. Other sources include Target and Office Depot.
An irritating feature is that, as they stack, they taper towards the bottom, restricting the size. Measure the bottom of the box with a tape measure, and ignore the dimensions on the label.

I do too, and for my electric locos, but they are not very long, so it only works with the short locos. Again, I wrap them in old towels and pad them with bits of foam. (Towels can take a bit of heat - I often drive home with the top of the box open.)

For most tender engines it is difficult to find a plastic box long enough and tall enough, without it having an enormous waste of space inside! Aristo heavyweight coaches (and USAT streamliners) are another problem - I keep them and carry them in the original boxes.

One of the rail clamp companies used to make a plastic carrier - Split Jaw?

A quick search of MLS also turned up a bunch of threads with no photos!

This video shows a type that was also used by Jack Thompson, and I’m sure we can find his pics, as he’s still responding to emails.

In looking for something else, I bumped in to this:

https://www.grsuk.com/shop/loco-carrying-case-355-x-5-x-675-in-M5394

I believe Jack T did a how to build engine carrier article in the Garden Trains annual 2023?

For rolling stock, second the idea of Home Depot, Target, Container store, etc. I finally found the perfect box to transport my 12 WM PIKO coal cars at Container store. I took 3 cars with me and experimented with boxes until I found a match. Did not get any weird looks, either…

The “Really Usefull Boxes” line is very popular with my live steam buddies for their quality coaches and freight cars.

And I also use various tool boxes for live steam locos. Works very well for smaller engines.

Jerry

Richard,

Since the coaches are so much lighter, you might lay them out on a table with suitable surrounding foam, and look for the nearest container size at Home Depot / etc. Perhaps 2-layer, with a deck piece between? Or, a big and short under-the-bed type. Or, if you envision a suitcase size, a trip to Goodwill for a hard-shell case might be helpful.

I also have used tool boxes, especially when taking a special loco or car on a plane (as carry-on). But you are speaking of very local travel only, right? Might be a factor, might not.

Cliff