Large Scale Central

Tram-attic finding! A mast-ache purchase

I think I’ve mentioned that thanks to my supportive wife we have pretty trains and trams to run a shelf inside the house. They will somehow complement the Wild West 1890-1910 theme outside. We thought we would run the trams with overhead wire.

Because we are in Oz, and have no dedicated G-scale stores, we picked up catenary from Aussie ebay when we could. Overhead wire was impossible to find until recently, so we had no reason to unbox the catenary poles.

Upon opening the box, we discovered we purchased possibly a first generation catenary system.

I’ve found a diagram of how the LGB is to be assembled., but am unsure how to proceed without damaging the unit. The units appear to be solidly spot welded together. Hence the tram-attic finding!

It’s been suggested I cut into the pole structure and sleeve the cut or break at a joint and solder it together. I have a 3D printer but haven’t come up with anything substantial.

Has as anyone cut through the 56204 and re-soldered or done a more clever approach?

this may or not help

1 Like

Bill, I have zero help on your catenary stuff, sorry!

But holy cow, I’m mesmerize by how your bricks and beams are cosmetic, and aren’t supporting anything… and how your track just blithely passes through your supporting-nothing brick wall…

1 Like

Thanks Mick!

Quite helpful. I like the idea of substituting rail for the figure 8 wire. I’m thinking code 83 rail made by Peco May be easier to access here in Oz.

It was also helpful to find 56402 Standard Oberleitungsmast Ausleger is an option if I fail to find parts 56204 or 56203.

Thanks Cliff,

A bit of an optical illusion. Here it is from the other side. This is where we want to have a doozie or a tram wander slowly from the living room into the dining room on track one, and on track two , the railyard.

We decided to build a one bedroom house after decades living in rentals where our G scale was an indoor seasonal event. We decided we should get assistance building a not so big house that looks big and allow train access.

We wanted a place to store and display our trains and not surprisingly, the architect and builder got way too excited about me wanting a working railway inside. They were getting into a train visiting each room and connecting with outside. However, we had seen way too many beautiful home layouts with spectacularly crafted track that had the appearance of mutton being dressed up as lamb, when put together.

So surprisingly, I was the person pulling everyone back.

House first. Working shelf second.

The brief became… “Shelf must have another reason to be where it is located. Shelf must not call attention to its contents, but if a train is seen, it beckons the viewer to search for a vantage point to look at the train. The railroad should not be the first thing seen entering the house, but can hide in plain sight”.

So, coming into the house visitors see suspended lighting, no trains.

Oh, and the wall is actually the masonry heater, a Canadian fireplace that gets light every 2-3 days for 2-3 hours and keeps the who,e house warm.

1 Like

Thanks for the further pics and story Bill. Astounding!!

Bill’s Layout is “Screaming for Amtrak” roundy round and overhead to boot!

1 Like