Large Scale Central

Trainworld blowing out 2 Truck Climaxes

Shoutout to Nico Corbo for letting me know that Trainworld is blowing out the Bachmann 2 Truck Climax for $199. I need the one I just bought like a hole in the head - still haven’t converted the 3 truck Shay purchased last summer to R/C. Planning to leave it in NIB for at least a month or so.

Jon,

Thanks for the heads up on this. Darn good price. It’s my favorite loco next to my Shay. I didn’t NEED one either but…mine is going the other way!

It’s ordered!

Guys, how much were your shipping costs on these. I know it will vary by zip code or region, but just give me an idea. And did they charge a handling fee on top of the $199?

Thanks.

No handling fee. The estimated shipping from NYC to CT (just 75 miles) was $12.95 with a caveat that actual shipping may vary and will be billed to the card. If you call them I’m sure you will get an accurate quote. Just be prepared for the NYC way of doing phone business. No chit chat, just the facts ma’am. Trainworld is good people; just very matter of fact.

I would, but I don’t have another Climax Sierra sound board…

Just kidding. I am trying to justify getting a third Climax, I only actually “need” one, but I already have 2. I guess at that price, one more wouldn’t hurt.

Why stay with 2 when you can have 3

David Maynard said:

I would, but I don’t have another Climax Sierra sound board…

I know a place that has a few Sierra boards. They might have a Climax one as well.

Al Kramer is selling new ones with factory sound for $275 on ebay.

Chuck

Jon Radder said:

No handling fee. The estimated shipping from NYC to CT (just 75 miles) was $12.95 with a caveat that actual shipping may vary and will be billed to the card. If you call them I’m sure you will get an accurate quote. Just be prepared for the NYC way of doing phone business. No chit chat, just the facts ma’am. Trainworld is good people; just very matter of fact.

They charged me $12.99 to Northern Florida. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Also the last of the C-19s is on sale for $499.99. I think Star Hobby bought the remaining stock from Bachmann - this must be the rest of the TW stock.

I’m very interested in one of Mr Kramer’s sound fitted versions. Even with the shipping and UK taxes its a no brainer. What I’m not sure about is what sounds one will be able to access in a straight DC environment. I already have a non sound one, awaiting the fitting of an old Sierra card I have sourced, that has voltage activated start up, shut down and directional sound sequences, without the need of any extra sound triggers. I’ve looked at the Spectrum/SoundTraxx manuals and Bachmann spec’ on-line but it only mentions the chuff in a DC setup. Does the Tsunami work the same way as the old Sierra in DC mode with preset sound sequences ?

I know if you order them from Al’s web site they are about 10% cheaper, www.roll-ez.com, than his eBay site

Thanks for the heads up on the 10% discounting of the Ebay price on the website. It seems though that the website’s checkout will only calculate shipping inside the US. I suppose one could ask the question. The Ebay listings displays not only a £ Stirling price for the product but also a shipping rate to the UK expressed the same way. Then I only have to add the 20% VAT and the shipper’s modest UK handling fee. All up still a bargain and worth a punt for such a nice model. But…

Just heard from Al, very quick response for a Sunday, that’s what I call service. Apparently you only get the chuff sound in DC mode, all the other sounds are only available to DCC users. I think I’ll just have to live with my singleton Climax with the old style Sierra card fitted for all the noises. Seems strange, in some ways, that a newer card gives so few benefits to the DC user. Are we that much a minority now ? Possibly why quite a few are at close out prices, not enough DCC users out there to empty the inventories ?

Jon Radder said:

Shoutout to Nico Corbo for letting me know that Trainworld is blowing out the Bachmann 2 Truck Climax for $199. I need the one I just bought like a hole in the head - still haven’t converted the 3 truck Shay purchased last summer to R/C. Planning to leave it in NIB for at least a month or so.

Jon,

I just looked and all the DCC ready Climaxi for $199 at Trainworld are gone. They are taking backorders. Thanks to you and Nico I got in early enough to score one. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Max Winter said:

Thanks for the heads up on the 10% discounting of the Ebay price on the website. It seems though that the website’s checkout will only calculate shipping inside the US. I suppose one could ask the question. The Ebay listings displays not only a £ Stirling price for the product but also a shipping rate to the UK expressed the same way. Then I only have to add the 20% VAT and the shipper’s modest UK handling fee. All up still a bargain and worth a punt for such a nice model. But…

Just heard from Al, very quick response for a Sunday, that’s what I call service. Apparently you only get the chuff sound in DC mode, all the other sounds are only available to DCC users. I think I’ll just have to live with my singleton Climax with the old style Sierra card fitted for all the noises. Seems strange, in some ways, that a newer card gives so few benefits to the DC user. Are we that much a minority now ? Possibly why quite a few are at close out prices, not enough DCC users out there to empty the inventories ?

So the loco makes all kinds of noises, but you cannot control them.

I don’t know if you can set it up for toots when it starts and stops.

Yes DC users are in the minority for sound systems, DCC is de rigeur for battery remote and DCC track power. You can find the manual or go to the soundtraxx forum I believe.

Greg

Max Winter said:

Go for a plain one at Trainworld, back ordered to 11/30 and put in this sound card;

https://www.gscalegraphics.net/store/p58/MyLocoSound_Steam_Board.html#/

Thanks for the suggestion John but when you add the cost of the card, the individual shipping, tax and handling fees the price is less attractive and it’s not a ready to go solution. I also don’t want to go down the route of a lot of reed switches and magnets to activate individual sounds, or if I go down the battery/RC route later (quite likely) more expensive RC switches to set off sounds. The Sierra card I have for my existing Bachmann Climax is the one with the sound file(s) for that loco, or at least it is marked up as such, and has all the voltage activated sound sequences I want without the need for any off loco reed switch activation. Already got their old K-27 card fitted to another loco.

I’ve had a look at the on-line manual on both the Bachmann and SoundTraxx sites Greg but not looked any further. It seems to back up what Al was saying. I was just attracted by the possibility of a neat ready to go “with sound” solution. The DCC bit had already alerted me to the fact its operation in a DC environment might be limited, except with a lot of complications to expand on, at least for me. You know what I’m like about these things (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

A DCC decoder programmed for the engine would have more features even when run on DC and for less $$ than the Phoenix.

I assume the newer engine has a plug and play socket for a digital decoder and it just needs to be set up by the seller for DC operation.

The Al Kramer price is 5 bucks less than the non-sound and the myloco sound card.

The sound system from Bachmann is great and has many more features, it is basically a Tsunami, very feature rich.

These OEM Tsunamis tend to have some features removed, like the hardwired chuff input. There’s plenty of documentation out there on this decoder.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

The Al Kramer price is 5 bucks less than the non-sound and the myloco sound card.

The sound system from Bachmann is great and has many more features, it is basically a Tsunami, very feature rich.

These OEM Tsunamis tend to have some features removed, like the hardwired chuff input. There’s plenty of documentation out there on this decoder.

Greg

This pertains to the original post of Train World how ? Just wondering since it’s always about the original poster ??