Large Scale Central

Trains stall when switch switched

I have a problem with one of my lines. Whenever I flip the switch by remote control the locomotive stops for about 2 seconds then continues.
I runs 5 lines (100ft each), each line is run independent from the other. Each line has its own USA Train Power 10 controller. All my switches are Piko running Piko switch controls. The power for the switch remote control comes from a separate power supply not connected to any of the train power 10 controllers. The only thing that is the same is that all controllers and switch power are plugged into the same power strip.
The 4th line has this problem of stopping all the time. What am I doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe a wiring diagram would help. Do you have a reverse loop anywhere? If so, is it possible that flipping that switch is firing the reverse loop controller?

It sounds to me as if flipping the switch is shorting the track power momentarily. That stops the train and the power pack is probably thinking of going into overload mode.

Does this happen when you flip any switch on the 4th circuit, or just one of them? Does the power pack have a red light for overload/short circuit, and does it blink?

Is the turnout routing the trains from tracks wired to one controller to another controller?

If so, is it possible that when you throw the turnout and the points move over to the other rail, when they touch they are causing a momentary short between the two controllers and the controllers are “smart enough” to recognize the situation and reset allowing the trains to run again?

DING DING DING! I think we have a winner here. :+1: That is what I would say it is too.

Seems so to me, Joe. Allen, a simple track plan, showing what is powering which, could be posted to Piko tech support, they probably have a solution.

There is no reverse loop on the 4th line. The center table is 10ft wide by 20 feet long. There are 3 switches on it, any of the 3 switches will stop the train. I guess all 3 switches need to be replaced.

Nice looking layout. But I count more than 3 switches on the table? Is the center figure-eight circuit 5, and circuit 4 is the loop outside it with 2 switches to circuit 5 and one siding (RH side?)

I wouldn’t do replace all three. If it only happens on this circuit and it happens to all 3, then it is unlikely to be a bad switch. If you have a spare, swap just one switch to confirm it happen with any switch. (Of course, if it doesn’t happen when you swap the one, then you do have a problem with all three!)

There is a total of 6 switches, only 3 are powered. 2 unpowered switches lead into the sawmill (front lumber, back logs). The switch in front of the loco is powered, straight - continues onto the figure 8, right turn leads back to main line. Far right middle of table is a powered switch, straight - continues on main line, left turn goes into figure 8. Last switch bottom right of table leads back out to main line 1. I will have to buy a couple more switches and swap out one at a time the powered switches. Thanks for the help.

I can see from your profile you live in California which I assume has a drier than average climate, at least compared to northern europe. However, the Piko make switches are notorious for failing due to some poor wiring and connections that are prone to deteriorating over time. I would suggest, just as a precaution, you check for this on your switches

1 Like