Large Scale Central

Train Elevator

Just keep those pictures coming as you do the work

Two railroads? Use cable lifts for your freight and passengers. Could be a bit of interesting animation. Each railway could be different scales or Gage’s even.

Hi Niel. Yeah, that would work. Interestingly, and I failed to mention it, that cable lift is exactly what we have in 1:1 scale on the property.

I am scoping out the property to attempt an interpretation of the “Crookedest Railroad in the World”, which is (was) a 241-turn scenic railway originating not five miles from here. Heavy rains and Easter planning have delayed any kind of trackwork, but I have great hopes of getting the bottom level loop installed in the next week or two.

And welcome to the board!

How bout a cable drag?
Make a few cars on an angle run the track up the hillside.
I can’t think what they called them but it would be interesting.
Kinda like a cog R R

Well, as I said, I already have a full-sized one (1:1). If there’s a counterweight, it’s a funicular. Mine is just a cable tram. 80 feet run, with an additional 120 feet of unused ROW covered with steps and dirt and stuff. I am pretty enchanted by the loopy hillside run idea, modelling a scenic railway that was, in effect, an 8.2 mile free-falling roller coaster, with nothing but a brake for controls.

Michael;

The Cass Scenic Railroad in West Virginia uses a lot of switchbacks to gain elevation. Could be another possibility. It is a former logging line, so the grades are fairly steep anyway. I think there is a short run of 10% grade just before the line arrives at Whittackers (sp?), the mid-way point.

Best,
David Meashey