Large Scale Central

Train Derailment

Yikes

Now I know why I NEVER had any centerbeams!

Wow, that’s one way to stop a string of tankers!

1 Like

Thanks Bob, I do peruse Virtual Rail Fan, this will surely make the highlights reel!

1 Like

The dude plowing :sunglasses: with the skid-steer didn’t seem too concerned…

1 Like

did anyone else find it hilarious that the guy plowing snow on the bobcat just kept plowing away like it was just another day.

I wonder how much damage was done to the bent and trestle where the center beam car jammed up into the bend and became the brakes for the rest of the train.

I’m surprised it held at all. You can see it move a little, but springs right back.

I was wondering along similar lines Bob. I’m willing to bet a few bridge inspectors / engineers were ordered to an airport near them right after this happened.

Here is a picture from their Facebook page The time stamp is maybe 4 minutes after the derailment, if those engineers knew the were probably a little nervous

In the video you can hear a loud bang just before the center beam comes into view, don’t really know what it was but I’m sure it’s the cause or the effect of the cause

well i guess the bent isn’t to badly damaged it held the next train yikes

But that center beam is folded and wadded up

I realize that but if it was too badly damaged the other trains would be on top of it.

1 Like

Anyone remember this one from September 2020? It was on the bridge maybe two hundred yards north of the one here. It took them several days and some big cranes to clean it up.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/article245759125.html#:~:text=September%2015%2C%202020%2C%203%3A54%20PM%20A%20train%20derailed,Fe%20Junction%20in%20Kansas%20City%2C%20Kansas.%20RELATED%20STORIES

Here is a video with more detail, some slow motion video. SANTA FE JUNCTION DERAILMENT! COMPREHENSIVE VIDEO, SLOW MOTION & CLEANUP! 2/2&3/2022 - YouTube . Pay attention to the slow motion at about the 2:00 minute mark. I am not sure a strong wind might not have added to the chaos.

The empty center beam becomes a large sail (regardless of the openness of the beam). The overturning moment generated by a wind could have added to or overturned the car.

My tuppence worth FWIW.

1 Like

This is not the first time this bridge has been struck by derailing cars. The bang you heard was the train line coming apart and putting train into emergency. This has been an on going topic of discussion with folks I know. Later RJD

Yep, in his own little world. And probably had music going so it was just part of the song.

Why blame the centerbeam’s? This sounds like a clear case of profiling to me! Can you prove the center beams are at fault ??