Large Scale Central

Train barn

The Dirty and Dusty Railway had to lay off their track building crew 5-16-07 when they ran out of LGB tie strips. They also have only eight lengths of flex rail left. Track was laid as far as the switches for the train barn but that was it. It looks like the train barn will be built without rails! Those trains just don’t run real well on gravel!

Doug

Is it possible to use Aristo tie strips in lieu of the LGB strips? Even as a temp solution (till the “troubles” are over) it will get you up and running.

Good time to learn to hand lay track! Saw up some ties and go to work!

Bart Salmons said:
Good time to learn to hand lay track! Saw up some ties and go to work!
Bart -

I envy your enthusiasm. When I first got into the hobby I seriously considered hand laying. I bought a few feet of Llagas NS track, some tie plates and spikes from Oregon Coast and made up a display track. I decided right then that hand laying was not for me. It looks great, but was way too labor intensive.

Your new track being elevated is also an advantage. Did you lay-up sections on the bench and then plant them when you were on the ground?

JR

The first 40 or so feet of track were handlaid on the ground. I decided tie strips were the way I should go. I have thought about handlaying track for the train barn but all that work that no one will see!
I will look into the Aristo tie strips.

Doug Arnold said:
The first 40 or so feet of track were handlaid on the ground. I decided tie strips were the way I should go. I have thought about handlaying track for the train barn but all that work that no one will see! I will look into the Aristo tie strips.
Hi guys,

I my former life aka BTBM (before the big move) I handlaid all the track on my largish HOm layout, including all the staging tracks. On the 2m in the garden I decided on handlaid turnouts and commercial tie strips. Been there, done that, didn’t need another T-shirt!

And elephant proof track for staging, you never know when an elephant will get into the garage. :lol: :lol:

Aristo tie strip stands up as well as LGB stuff, in fact I have some old LGB curved track that after 15 years is out of guage.
I have used, and am still using Railcraft tie strip, Aristo, and LGB…it all works well. Yes they do look a bit different from each other, but with ballasting, it hardly shows.

I suggest using what ever is least expensive, and does the job.
Fred Mills said:
in fact I have some old LGB curved track that after 15 years is out of guage.
Fred how much of the rail head is gone? On teh display track at Naiagara Hobby they regularly need to replace brass curves becuase the rail head is worn down on the outside rail and the trains drop to the inside.

Chas

Chas,

Funny you should mention that.

One of the “special features” of “suitable for R1” is the nice brass shavings on the display layouts LGB takes to shows.

Those in the know would actually take some close-up shots of the shavings. I haven’t heard if anyone ever asked the personnel at the shows where all the shavings came from.
Between that and the carbon dust coming of the pick-ups … one could call it natural weathering if the brass shavings would rust. :wink: :slight_smile:

Charles;

The LGB track that went out of guage, was never used in a loop or situation that would get that kind of wear.
You probably see it in service with a train going round and round, several times a day, year round.
We operate a point-to-point pike, and in reality, the track doesn’t wear like a continuous loop does. Our Aluminium rail stands up just as well as Brass. In fact most of it gets relayed when we make any upgrades, including the tie strip. Some of our track is dated back to the 1980’s.

Doug Arnold said:
The Dirty and Dusty Railway had to lay off their track building crew 5-16-07 when they ran out of LGB tie strips. They also have only eight lengths of flex rail left. Track was laid as far as the switches for the train barn but that was it. It looks like the train barn will be built without rails! Those trains just don't run real well on gravel!
I would love to see pictures of your trackless train barn! :D

When it’s finished (oe nearly so) I will post some. I broke down and ordered some Aristo tie strips and rail but I will take photos before I lay track. Guess I’ll have to rehire a track crew!

Our desert weather cooled off a little so today I got the cement poured for the train barn. Me and my old mixer got the job done but I’m sure out of shape! I should start posting pics soon.

Try Hartland’s tie strips as well. They’re far more “US looking” than anything else out there. I wish he’d advertise those more.

Later,

K

Speaking of Aristo track, how do you gentlemen solve the problem of the sectional track, that a tie belongs where the railjoiner fits. Do you just cut up a dummy tie and slip it in under the rail joiner. You can see the rail joints from a mile away. Even with tie strips and rail, the aristo rail joiners are not useable (very flimsy) without a screw hole tapped.
What if you use a Hillman joiner (even bigger). How do you disguise these joints, or just most don’t bother? thanks

On the one layout that I did use Aristo’s USA ties, I didn’t worry about the gap. Once ballasted it hardly showed. I use Hillmans so it would be hard to fit a tie under them. For some odd reason I generally prefer using the “Euro” track and will mix Aristo and LGB. USAT ties are enough different that I generally don’t use it on mainline track if I’m using the other manufacturer’s track. I’m getting ready to build a small module to see how the USAT track looks for 7/8ths scale as their ties and spacing is larger than LGB or Aristo.

Since I’m starting on walls I fiigured it’s time to begin posting pictures. The barn is about 4x10 feet and will have five tracks.

After being sidetracked numerous times the train barn is nearly FINISHED! I’ve been able to use it for several years but trim and paint were lackubg. I trimmed it this week, undercoated it yesterday and painted it today!

I have barnless train track.

What, no pictures :frowning:
Ralph