Large Scale Central

Trackwork at Dead Rooster Gulch and the High Bridge

Those of you that have operated here know that the viaduct at Dead Rooster Gulch has an incline toward the southern end. This has been getting worse in the last couple years, due to settling of the fill. I decided to run a level line and its settled almost 4 inches, which translates to about a 3 percent grade!

So, first project this year is to cut the track there, jack up the end of the viaduct to level, and then reattach and re-line the track over the High Bridge. Stay tuned!

Nice. Sounds like a serious project. You got a bit of snow from yesterday’s storm?

Spring has sprung and the layout maintenance has begun…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

He just needed a lift to get over his site issues(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I have two giant buildings taking up all my space in the shop, and one of them goes on this siding on the left at DRG. So in order to get it out of my shop, I need to build the place to mount it, which means fixing the track here.

Its always something.

Bob McCown said:

I have to giant buildings taking up all my space in the shop, and one of them goes on this siding on the left at DRG. So in order to get it out of my shop, I need to build the place to mount it, which means fixing the track here.

Its always something.

I’m surprised you have the time …you do have to baby sit us …

Good, another project to watch… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

looking at the rail-joints on the lower left of the pic - yes, you need to do something.

One bottle jack and a few concrete blocks and bricks later, its level to 3/4 inch over 20 feet. Close enough. I also ran a level line from the end of the steel bridge that goes over Majestic, to the end of the viaduct, and it was LEVEL. That used to be a 3" grade. So I have plenty of space to make up that height, something like 40 linear feet.

1 Like

Nothing like a bottle of Jack to make things look better!

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Looking good!

1 Like

Some lunchtime progress. Got the grade from the steel bridge, and over the big trestle, done, at just under 1 1/2 percent.

Stonework and ballast will finish that right off.

Looks great Bob!

You better stock up on bricks if Ken and Jon are teaming up for operations there!

The “escape” track. Notch 8 and a Flux Capacitor will get it done!\

Jon, that looney bin tried that in California last week and didn’t get close to his goal.

Pete Lassen said:

Typo? Fixed

Yes a big typo , my apologies to Jon and anyone named Hon!

Jon Radder said:

There will be a building that track goes into there, so good luck!

Bob McCown said:

Jon Radder said:

There will be a building that track goes into there, so good luck!

Notch 8 turns buildings into drive thru’s especially if you have conductor and engineer’s named Jon and Ken.

I personally love notch 8 and I have a few Amtrak engineers named Lionel.

Did some more work on getting the flow of track here right, and its in the final position. Next up is deciding what, if anything this year, I want to do about the big trestle. Those of you that have been here know its the focal point of the lower part of the yard and gardens, so I want it to look impressive. I have the uprights, but Im not sure what I want to do about the actual girders.

I did some measuring this weekend. I have 90 degrees of six foot radius, then 25 degrees of about 8 foot radius, followed by a very wide curve over six feet, that I could just do a straight section with.

The piers are just under two feet tall, so between spacing above and below, the girders (or whatever) cant be more than about 4" tall. Eric brought a section of some bridges he had made (J&S Railcar maybe?) to TrainOps, and they looked pretty good. Anyone have anything else they can think of?