Large Scale Central

Trackplan help

The following is a proposed addition. At this point I want to set up a second loop.

Black line is existing trackage Red line is proposed loop note Two Blue connecting lines - this is currently a passing siding for the black loop I use track power.When I lay the second loop it will be independent of the first loop. Now the problem comes in. I would like to have the two independent loops for two separate trains,but would also like to be able to traverse both loops as a single run,hence the blue connection points. Can I do this and what kind of special wiring do I need? Isolate the blue areas and DPDT switches? Isolate the red line between the two blue connections and DPDT switches? Or am I creating a headache I don’t need?

David Marconi said:
The following is a proposed addition. At this point I want to set up a second loop.

(http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/dltrains/trackwork/TrackPlanphase2.jpg)

Black line is existing trackage Red line is proposed loop note Two Blue connecting lines - this is currently a passing siding for the black loop I use track power.When I lay the second loop it will be independent of the first loop. Now the problem comes in. I would like to have the two independent loops for two separate trains,but would also like to be able to traverse both loops as a single run,hence the blue connection points. Can I do this and what kind of special wiring do I need? Isolate the blue areas and DPDT switches? Isolate the red line between the two blue connections and DPDT switches? Or am I creating a headache I don’t need?

I think it can be done. A few guys around here I meet with do this. You can work the switches so when they are switched on either end you cut power to that blue line. How to do it I have no idea. I know the guys I meet with use LGB and aristo switches with LGB motors. Then use the Aristo train engineer to switch them. If you dont get any answeres I will find out for you. You can also use inslating joints on either end of the blue line and have a switch box to cut off the power when not in use. That should work as well.

David your idea with the double throw double switches is pretty much straight forward and simple. You can take the power from the track that you want to apply the power from for the dual powered track and keep the wiring real simple. The dpdt switches make it that you can’t make a mistake. If you do the installation of the electrical switches by the turn outs, you can keep it real simple.

Ric Golding said:
David your idea with the double throw double switches is pretty much straight forward and simple. You can take the power from the track that you want to apply the power from for the dual powered track and keep the wiring real simple. The dpdt switches make it that you can't make a mistake. If you do the installation of the electrical switches by the turn outs, you can keep it real simple.
Even while running two trains? Seems like I'll wind up with two trains on one controller.

Expanding already…cool.
Ralph

David
Like you I am track power and I run three loops all independent and have cross overs so I can run a single train on all three loops. I used insulater joints between the lines at the switches and use a Aristo TE set up. That way I can controll all three trains or a single train with one hand held remote. It has worked well for me so far with no truble and no fancy wireing needed.

The set up I did was three power G transformers and three Aristo TE to power the three loops. I only need one TE transmitter to work all three loops. If I am doing Ops, I use one train and move it around all three lines. If I have friends over and three diff trains going I let my friends use a diff transmitter then the one I use and they can not controll anything but there loop with it. Was very easy to set up, should work for you as well.

Geoff

Geoff George said:
David

The set up I did was three power G transformers and three Aristo TE to power the three loops. I only need one TE transmitter to work all three loops. If I am doing Ops, I use one train and move it around all three lines. If I have friends over and three diff trains going I let my friends use a diff transmitter then the one I use and they can not controll anything but there loop with it. Was very easy to set up, should work for you as well.

Geoff

Now we’re where I want to be,but when others are running I would like to be able to interchange loops i.e.

You run on loop 1 with TE-a and I run on loop 2 with TE-b
now you move to loop 2 and I go to loop 1 but we keep our TE

Ralph Berg said:
Expanding already......cool. Ralph
I got a deal even "Uncle Scrooge" couldn't pass up.
David Marconi said:
Now we're where I want to be,but when others are running I would like to be able to interchange loops i.e.

Why was this never mentioned on land line conversations? Could have told you that but instead we discuss Ralph and Shawn.
:wink:

David Russell said:
David Marconi said:
Now we're where I want to be,but when others are running I would like to be able to interchange loops i.e.

Why was this never mentioned on land line conversations? Could have told you that but instead we discuss Ralph and Shawn.
:wink:

Why would he ask a dumb rooster? LOL

Should I mention, if you go battery power, you need no wiring???

(Flying Monkey Wrenches) DUCK!!!

:slight_smile:

Sorry, David, I just had to… :slight_smile:

Uh Oh, the old track power vs battery comes up. :wink:
Get er on!!! LOL.
Randy

Andy you don’t understand.

A little history here. Back 15 years ago when I decided to get into large scale trains, I like most others jumped in with both feet. I listened with half an ear to everybodies imput and decided battery was the way to go. Wanting to be as prototypical as possible I picked a scale and started building an indoor layout.Track was layed, ballast was put down scenery was in place and I went out to get my batteries.
Got on E-bay, won the batteries and set back waiting on pins and needles for two weeks dreaming of running trains.Tracking the package I was able to get a battery car ready a day before the packege was due. I got up that morning and paced the floor watching for the big brown truck. Around 3PM it pulled up out front and with a sigh of relief I headed to the door.
Do you know how big 6 SD-40 storage batteries are.Hell I had trouble lifting the damn things.Put them in the car,no way.
Hell I’d have to model 1:6 scale to get them onboard. So I’m track power with batteries till these wear out. :slight_smile:

Geeze Dave,
All I was thinking was a North East Corridor wire powered catenary around my veggie garden only.

David Marconi said:
Geoff George said:
David

Geoff

Now we’re where I want to be,but when others are running I would like to be able to interchange loops i.e.

Ok David
The trick is how you program the transmitters. You can have them set to operate both tracks with out having to change. The trouble is unless you section off areas the train on track 1 will move as you bring the train from track two onto it and vice versa. Also, you have to make sure the trains are going the same direction.

Your DPDT ideal should work for a area to park one train as you move the other over to the other track and them move that parked train to the unused track. It should work. I have a sidding that I park a train on that I can kill the power to on two the the three loops. that way I can go from just running to ops with out taking things off the track and into the house.

Your thinking the right way just need the right parts. I would say Aristo TE set will get you there and your DPDT setup at the cross over.

David Russell said:
Why was this never mentioned on land line conversations? Could have told you that but instead we discuss Ralph and Shawn. ;)
You two are getting a little creepy :lol: Ralph
David Marconi said:
Andy you don't understand.

A little history here. Back 15 years ago when I decided to get into large scale trains, I like most others jumped in with both feet. I listened with half an ear to everybodies imput and decided battery was the way to go. Wanting to be as prototypical as possible I picked a scale and started building an indoor layout.Track was layed, ballast was put down scenery was in place and I went out to get my batteries.
Got on E-bay, won the batteries and set back waiting on pins and needles for two weeks dreaming of running trains.Tracking the package I was able to get a battery car ready a day before the packege was due. I got up that morning and paced the floor watching for the big brown truck. Around 3PM it pulled up out front and with a sigh of relief I headed to the door.
Do you know how big 6 SD-40 storage batteries are.Hell I had trouble lifting the damn things.Put them in the car,no way.
Hell I’d have to model 1:6 scale to get them onboard. So I’m track power with batteries till these wear out. :slight_smile:

David??? Modeling 1:6 is a bad thing???