Large Scale Central

Track through the new Engine House ?

In my Free Buildings post a few days ago we are discussing a large Cedar engine house that I was gifted. I kind of like the place that we plopped it down temporarily…

So, this evening after work I planned to start excavating for a foundation. Before I began digging I experimented with track to see where the building should be placed to allow future track to run through it. This area has long been planned to be part of a spur that would cross the main just before my tunnel. Here’s a few old shots of planning that track…

So I grabbed some large sectional curves and a few 5 foot straights and plopped them down to see where the straight section would fall, then marked the outline of the engine house with orange markers…

That doesn’t look too bad. But I know the natural slope here is nearly 8%, so I better see about flattening that out some. I started by setting the lowest possible track height where it crosses over. I used just the track, but left room for the 2" bridge girder…

Then tried to keep the grade on the bridge and curve to under 4%…

I expect that the track through the engine house should be close to level so the building would look right. Unfortunately that would put the track too far above the existing grade at the 5 foot mark…

No way this will work if I ever hope of getting back down to the main-line level at the Indian Hill Junction switch…

This area is one of the best places on my railroad for this large structure. Unfortunately using it as an engine house with a run through track in this area just isn’t going to work.

I see a couple of options…

Option 1 would be to build the track as I have it laid out, but dead end it inside or just past the down grade end. There would never be a connection the the switch shown above. Access would be by extending another spur to cross the main at the bridge.

Option 2 would be to allow the building to sit on a 4-5% grade and run the track through. I’m not sure how that would look. It would be no worse that the first picture which is at the natural 8% grade.

Option 3 would be to close up the ends and make the building some type of Industry. The track could then run behind it (relative to the main) and a few windows converted to freight doors.

One last option might be to relocate the engine house to the area very close to the switch in the last picture. I’ve not measured to see if it would fit there but I have a feeling it won’t.

As mentioned in the other thread, I really don’t plan to do any work on this until fall or winter. The only reason I need to make a decision is that I was going to pour a concrete foundation/floor for it since the material will be cheaper than four 24" pavers needed to do the same thing. I suppose I could always make the foundation intentionally thin and not reinforced so it can be broken up in the future.

Decisions, Decisions. This is too much like work. I thought this was a hobby :]

Maybe a turntable outside the far end. Many were plopped down on hill sides with a built up circle supports.

It is a nice gift…

John

Good idea John. Not sure it would fit as I only have an area about 2 feet wide there. The Belgium block is my lot line.

Sometimes you just need to face reality. There are places you want track to go, and places track can go and they aren’t always the same.

I remembered the reason this loop of track was never laid was that the grade to the cross-over bridge was unacceptable. The run would only be a little over 28 feet and the rise to bridge deck level is 26.5". That’s a grade of almost 8% which exceeds my standards.

So, I took a look tonight from a different perspective. Approaching from the down grade side and digging the up grade end of the house into the hillside. That would put the track on the approximate path of the PVC in this view with the engine house about where previously staked out near the top of the photo. The track would end in the house and there would be no bridge…

I wonder if I have a switch left in-stock so I can get two tracks into the house.

Jon,

You orange markers look suspiciously like cheap screw drivers. Good idea! :wink:

Close Joe. They are from a Harbor Freight Pick Set. I straighten the 45 and the hook and use them to hold cars on the grade. The right angle ones I keep as-is to use as an uncoupling tool…

Correct me if I am wrong, but don’t most engine houses sit at the end of the track. I mean, how many actually have track run through them to somewhere?

True David. I wasn’t basing the run-through track on a prototype, but rather the building itself which has open doors on both ends.

Since I didn’t buy or build the building I really don’t know if it is an engine house, a shop or just some whimsical creation. There are prototypes of run-through shop buildings and car barns. What should I call it ? :slight_smile:

John call it whatever you want. I call one of my storage units “The Flying Popcorn Maker”.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I just picture an engine house at the end of the track. Unless they push the dead locomotive carcases out of the back doors.

:wink:

I like that building it could be lots of things. It could be a engine house, a car repair house, a factory, a house for chickens, pigs etc… convert it to a 2 track covered bridge or one side for track and one side a road for cars, if you have a mountain it could be a snow shed or how about a transfer building for freight where the second RR is at a higher grade?

For the grade issue do you have room for a Helix? How about a switchback?

No room in this spot for either helix or switchback - only about 3 feet from the main to the lot line.

I think it may end up being some type of industrial building. Perhaps the track won’t go inside. For now I’m just going to dig the high side of the hill down some to level it and leave it for a winter project.

And with service facilities for the engines! Water, fuel, lub, etc. But what ever turns you on!!

Paul

Seek out the engine house at Rico CO., on the old RGS…it had three tracks right through it, one was connected to the main at both ends. The other two were used for outside storage at one end.

Just goes to show there’s a prototype for every thing…

Fred, I’m surprised you didn’t suggest it be used for a local watering hole. :slight_smile:

It is a very neat structure.

Engine houses I know well.

Silverton Northern 2 tracks in, one w/pit, none out.

Durango Silverton, Round House, but 1 track thru for lube w/pit, and one track thru and out the connecting machine shop. Could be used clean thru, but a lot of stuff in the way. Car shop, one track thru, connected at both ends.

Cumbres & Toltec,

Chama Yard, two tracks thru, one w/pit, and two tracks (old section) in, one w/pit, none out.

Antonito, Two tracks in, one service track w/pit, and out to the ash dump but not connected to other track, one dead ends. Also car shop, two tracks in, none out.

New Mexico Northern, Nothing, I haven’t built it yet, but due to limited space, it will be 1 track in, no out.

Thanks Dave. Due to the grade in the area where this will end up t will be one or two tracks in and none out. I surveyed the area and to get the building level, one end will be dug 8 inches below existing grade. Even to have a short stub track out would mean 4 or 5 inches deeper down into the hill. So it will be none out. I’ll rebuild the end to close in the doors - maybe add some windows and a man door.

I’ve been meaning to get to this - bought some pavers for a foundation two weeks ago. Other summer stuff keeps taking up my weekends - like getting our boat cleaned up and ready to launch.

Originally this building had 2 tracks going into it and out the other side to a turntable

(https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/1795669_1464937277067978_976502204_n.jpg)

(edit - I believe it was a maintenance building)

there is an adjacent track next to the building (outside) that also went to the turntable

Not sure if they ran the locos through the buiding or what though

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/1535524_1482920701936302_916322566_n.jpg)

Both the excavating crew and carpenters have been hard at work readying the engine house for it’s permanent home on the railroad.

Bruce suggested making the windows larger to help scale the building up to 1:20.3. Since some of the window boards were a bit rotten, I took the suggestion and removed one board from each side of each window with a razor saw. This resulted in significantly larger and more square windows…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/post4/EngineHouse06-08-14_05.JPG)

This yielded a large number of good weathered boards that could be used to replace missing trim pieces and repair sections that had rotted away. The bottom of this corner didn’t exist. The carpentry crew replaced some framing and cut in replacement siding fastened with a pinner…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/post4/EngineHouse06-08-14_03.JPG)

Corners were pulled together and fastened with 1" brads using an air nailer and loose corners of metal roofing were glued down…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/post4/EngineHouse06-08-14_04.JPG)

Finally, the rotten bottom strip on both sides was replaced. I just so happen to have a stock of Cedar strips I picked up at ECLSTS two years ago that were the perfect size…

At the end of the day the carpentry crew declared the building stabilized and fit for use.

Meanwhile, the excavation crew was toiling away removing a huge amount of soil to level an area large enough to accommodate the engine house and two tail tracks at the far end for coal loading…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/post4/EngineHouse06-08-14_01.JPG)

The excavation is about two inches deeper than track level in order to accommodate a stable roadbed. I haven’t decided if I will pour a concrete pad or use ladder roadbed through the house. The concrete bricks were purchased to support the building if I don’t pour concrete. And finally, a view across deep cut of the construction site…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/post4/EngineHouse06-08-14_02.JPG)

It looks like rain for the next week or more so progress might be a bit slow from here.

That building is looking a whole lot better. Your equipment will have a new barn to reside in soon.

I didn’t bring along the “before” pictures. You can see then in my Free Buildings post.