Large Scale Central

Track planning software

I am looking for track planning software that will work on a Mac computer. It also must be free. Are there any of you that know of such an animal ? If so, how has your experience been with it ?

Just did a Google search and found this one very quickly: http://www.railmodeller.com/express-edition-en.html

It’s free! There is also a Pro version.

Google is our friend:).

I also found various track planning software, but NOT free. You DO get what you pay for…remember :slight_smile:

Great. Now how does one download it ? I was all over the page and went to the Mac APP store as instructed. I must be dumber than I think I am !

did it tell you to upgrade your O/S because the app store is now “built in” to the O/S?

hah, PC getting friendlier, Mac getting tougher…

The day had to come.

Greg

No Greg. I updated my system a few weeks ago to the OX something or other. Here is the screen I got when I clicked on the URL

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/railmodeller-express/id1008811516?mt=12

Dan,

The newest version is El Capitan, v. 10.11. You should be good to go if you have 10.8. Yosemite is 10.10. It almost sounds to me like your OS is older than Yosemite.

Just checked. I have EL Capitan 10.11.2. As I mentioned elsewhere, I keep getting directed to the APP store. However once there I don’t see anywhere it indicates how to download railmodeller.

Gee, when I click on the Barnholt.net Web site link, it takes me to page where there is a button to download on the Mac app store.

Clicked on the Barnholt URL and it take s me to a page where it shows Railmodeller Pro. It wants me to buy it for $34.95. When I click on Railmodeller Express, it takes me to a page where there is no option that I can see to download it.

Ah, well i didn’t go there, since I am running winders tin

Try this one I have found it extremely user/dummy friendly.

If I can produce a simple layout within 30 minutes anybody can do it.

It will be my weapon of choice when I plan my next big layout.

http://www.scarm.info/index.php

It is windows only but these may help

http://www.scarm.info/blog/general/running-scarm-on-apple-mac/

http://www.scarm.info/index.php?page=help&topic=27

I think you are having problems with the app store… it’s there. I’ve tried several suggestions and no response. Good luck.

Greg

p.s. I was able to get to it.

Yea, I’m waiting for one of my kids to show up so I can have them give it a try. I am reluctant to do anything on the computer that does have step by step instructions on how to do that particular thing.

Dan Padova said:

Yea, I’m waiting for one of my kids to show up so I can have them give it a try.

I love this statement :)!

I’m brand new to Macs myself. Just bought a new 15" Macbook with the I7 core. My old one gave up. I’m always running into some damn thing or another with it. I just call my friendly tech support (my son). Somehow I always sense a snicker from him when he shows me what to do. Always been PC. For us in the “older generation” category, well…:slight_smile:

Well, I must say that this Mac, the first we have owned, has been great. It is easier to use for us than the PCs we had in the past. I’m just wary about doing anything to it for fear of messing it up.

Older generation…yea. I started with DOS, Pascal, and assembly language. Then I graduated to Win 3.1. I am still on winders, winders tin, but all too often I ask why they had to make something so darn difficult. With all of the brainpower they put into writing operating systems, I keep asking if they actually use what they write. I ask, because things that should take 2 or 3 steps, actually take 8 or 10 with a reboot and then futzing with it to tweak it so it quits doing that annoying whatever.

David Maynard said:

Older generation…yea. I started with DOS, Pascal, and assembly language. Then I graduated to Win 3.1. I am still on winders, winders tin, but all too often I ask why they had to make something so darn difficult. With all of the brainpower they put into writing operating systems, I keep asking if they actually use what they write. I ask, because things that should take 2 or 3 steps, actually take 8 or 10 with a reboot and then futzing with it to tweak it so it quits doing that annoying whatever.

I’m still using XP Pro in my PC because of all of my high end Cad systems on this machine. I refuse to go to Win 7, 8, OR 10. Instead I went to Mac and happy I did. I’ve had three updates in the Mac OS and all three times it worked flawlessly. Can’t say that about 7, 8 or 10. Learning Mac is just a change in mindset. Just simple to do. No more 10 different clicks on a PC to do the same thing in Mac with far less steps! JMHO

Gary, I agree, but there is so much out there that runs on winders that doesn’t run on mac. That’s why when my XP rolled over I went 7, and then updated that to tin. So far ten is behaving about as good as windows does. Yesterday it acted like it didn’t want to boot up, but it did on the second try.

David Maynard said:

Gary, I agree, but there is so much out there that runs on winders that doesn’t run on mac. That’s why when my XP rolled over I went 7, and then updated that to tin. So far ten is behaving about as good as windows does. Yesterday it acted like it didn’t want to boot up, but it did on the second try.

I agree that there are many programs that won’t run on a Mac. That’s why I STILL run XP Pro when I do MasterCam cad work. In fact, the version of MasterCam I run now, WON’T run in 8 OR 10 and is very “iffy” in 7! I’m going to have to eventually partition my Mac to use XP Pro as a dual boot.