Large Scale Central

Track plan? what's that fer?

I usually just figure out where I have any space, and slap down some track. My layout is usually boring. I’m looking around and see that a lot of guys actually plan a layout? Wow, what a concept!

I’m looking at a video by Dennis Sirrine in AZ and see that the trains are much more interesting when they cross over themselves or appear to have a realistic way around obstacles. I see a lot of guys have this going on, on the forum here.
So before I get any further into it, I should probably plan something out? Goes against my usual grain of thought. I can come up with excuses like I don’t have the room, or, I don’t have the money right now. It would be nice to have a master plan to work towards where everything doesn’t have to get ripped out down the road. I would normally just throw down some track and run!!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Your railroad, your rules.

I am indoors so every single piece of track has to be planned for, as well as theme, era, etc.

When I was outside the track plan was pretty much dictated by physical area of the layout, but I still added spurs, buildings and features.

It really is up to you, sounds like your goals are just into running, without any defined theme or era, so what your doing is A-OK, just go for it.

I think it was Eisenhower who said, “No plan survives first contact.” I have found that to be very true in planning my outdoor railroads, as well.

Its not a bad idea to give some thought to what you want to do. Writing down your “Givens and 'Druthers” is a good thing.

Planning the location of each turnout never worked, for me, there was always something that caused me to change the plan.

Hi Joe
I think you can plan your layout when you are starting from scratch with a flat yard but bringing in all the fill, rocks etc… sure is a ton of work. I think what is really neat about this hobby is that we can all have the same piko buildings, the same engines and rolling stock but no 2 layouts are ever the same.
I attacked my sloped yard and ended up with a lot more track than I had planned for as I had to conquer grade issues with brass footage. The name of my RR is “the Rock Root and Pup Poop RR” since I had plenty of 2 when building and plenty of the “other” all the time with 2 Cocker Spaniels.
Some guys have trees, pathways, the neighbors fence etc… to deal with and some have huge rocks like Stan Ames posted a photo of recently. The option for Stan, go around, jack hammer it or move it. Luckily he was able to move it.
I have always admired guys that could plan then execute a RR. I have found over the years that my RR is constantly changing and improving with industries added, bigger more modern equipment and a program to increase most of the 5’ diameter curves with 8’ and the 8’ with 10’s.
If you subscribe to Garden Railways look at the “If I’d Only Known” piece on the back of the current issue, that is my RR and a near abandoned section. All well thought out plans will change and grow given time and your personal preferences.

I say go for it and make the best layout you can right now. Who knows what will happen down the line but the most important thing is to get moving and get some track down.

Track plans are to catch not so obvious mistakes before you build them e.g. curves that are too tight, grades that are too steep, track arrangements that lack credibility (most commonly know as spaghetti layouts) and make logical scenery almost impossible.

But we each have our priorities; some plan and then build. Others build and then re-build and re-build and re-build. Actually the latter have much more “experience”. :wink: :slight_smile:

I got a feelin’ I’ll be a rebuildin’ a few times.

Actually, My track plan here for the Bluestone Southern was all laid out in my head, before we even started building the house, back in 2005… Sometime about 2007, I do believe, is when I had to put something on paper, so Jane knew what I working towards…

It’s still a work in progress, but other than a temporary bridge abbutment or two, nothing really has been ripped out and put back in…

After the next Ops session, 2 bridges will be removed so a spillway dam can be installed… Removing the bridges is to allow the tractor to get in and do the digging, and such…

To me, a lot of the fun, is putting in the new sections… Not to mention, the blood, sweat & tears…

A train going around in a loop gets dull pretty fast.

It gets dull less fast if that loop goes in and out of sight.

Add some sidings, a passing track and maybe a little yard and it doesn’t get dull.

Weeding gets dull.

Disclaimer: I have no place for a garden.