Large Scale Central

Track Plan suggestions Please

Here is the track plan of the current indoor bench level layout. Disregard the inner circle in the upper left, technical drawing error I can’t figure out how to erase. There is a small portion of that curve that does extend past the two green dots on the pic. The two red dots in that area are actually a crossover from the main outside line across the next line angling into the loop center.

Before I start doing scenery I’d like to tweak it and get it as good as possible. Pleas feel free to offer any suggestions and improvements. I like to let trains run while I work on projects. The reverse loops are to add variety to that and for operational purposes. Ryan and I had a great time particpating in the ops session at marty’s and do as much as we can with ops here. Please ask for futher details as you may need to advise us. Thanks Andre’

Andre,

What is the size of the grid? What track are you using?

Hans,

Grid size is 4 ft. Track is a mix of Aristo and LGB. Layout size is 28 X 24 feet.

Andre’

Change the minimum radius to 5 foot, inner circle to slightly less, adjust loops to give you enough room for an aisleway, use more of the room in the lower left corner, add runaround tracks to your yard, squeeze more yard tracks in by making them parallel.

Regards, Greg

Andre, More or less the same space used, but instead of leaving everything on one level use the vertical space.

I went on the assumption that the top, right and bottom borders are walls. Where is the access to the layout area? BTW the grades between the levels are 3.25 %, but that could be reduced by a bit by using a few additional tricks. The hidden (dotted lines) portion would have a passing siding, the lower level could be run loop to loop. The complete layout could be run loop to loop via the high line, continuous run low level and high line etc. Apart from the spur in the lower RH corner all operating areas are close together but also shifted by 90º increments.

HJ,

Access is from the left in the drawing. The stove is against the bottom wall. There are three large windows at bench level. One on the bottom wall near the lower right corner, two along the top wall. Another smaller window is above the bench about a foot or so along the right wall.

Would the addition of a removable bring between the loops give more options?

I like the ideas so far I had wanted elevated trackage originally but had it with the lower loop crossing over the upper. When I put in the aisle I had to drop that feature so its nice to have it back!

I llok forward to your response on the bridge option.

Thanks

Andre’

HJ, Spent some time looking over your plan. Unfortunately I have the bench work built and am limited to 8ft diams. If I forget about using the -9 and the Challenger on the layout I could use smaller diam inside of what I currently have. This is what it currently looks like:

The corner nearest you has been removed when the aisle was made.

Andre’

Andre Adding a bridge - at least where and how I did - would still allow for loop to loop running, except the one loop would get much bigger.

Coming across the bridge by-passes both “St” and “A”, the aisle gets a little wider and “C” gets an additional track. “C” could function as a mini transfer yard - the transfer happening in “fiddle” fashion (depends how much “spare” rolling stock you have).

Andre

Could you make up a drawing of the exact dimensions of the benchwork as it is?

On my plan the smallest rad is 39" and that is only used in a few places with transition curves.

Andre,

I looked at your pictures, I’d say that the scheme should work with the window locations.

OTOH if you measure the benchwork, perhaps you can measure the window and door locations, too, along with whatever else is in that room and needs to be accounted for. :wink:

PS What software won’t let you delete that circle??

HJ,

I’ll get the plots tomorrow and post them. Can’t blame the software…only the operator! hehehe

Andre’

Hans, This took longer than I expected… Overall room dimensions are 24 X 36

Andre’

Andre, OK this is how your benchwork looks when superimposed on my suggestion.

You’d need to have a few changes to make it work. :frowning:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Andre, OK this is how your benchwork looks when superimposed on my suggestion.

You’d need to have a few changes to make it work. :frowning:

How is this project coming along?

By the way, this layout design was featured in model railroader about 1965. It was designed to have the maximum radius curves in the smallest space, and be able to be used as a twice around layout or 2 separate loops. The bridge was a “duck under” setup, and the original layout was designed for HO.

Regards, Greg

Greg Elmassian said:
By the way, this layout design was featured in model railroader about 1965. It was designed to have the maximum radius curves in the smallest space, and be able to be used as a twice around layout or 2 separate loops. The bridge was a "duck under" setup, and the original layout was designed for HO.

Regards, Greg

Greg,

Are you referring to Andre’s or mine? If mine that would be a huge coincidence, further proof: there’s nothing new under the sun. :frowning:

10 days to go 'til my “Discover North America” date, also known as April 30th 1969. You know how some people are referred to as DPs? I’m a DD; Delayed Discoverer. :wink: :slight_smile:

Well, both, with the bridge. It’s very logical, a folded dogbone with the lobes offset is the most efficient. Add the bridge to crossover between the “sides”. This is a very natural evolution of thinking. I should have indicated that I meant it as a compliment, since the original layout was designed by a person of some repute. Now that I have said this, I’ll have to pull that article out and get the name.

The design was to have a home for long wheelbase steam locos in the smallest space, but with the widest curves possible.

Regards, Greg