Large Scale Central

Track & Layout re-do

I spent almost 12 hrs. on my layout on Saturday, re-doing my track layout plan! I never liked the track over the cement pad so I decided to change it. Went to the local landscaper, and purchased 1/2 ton of my rock like I used for the last two years, changed the track layout and put down ballast on the new track plan, and ballasted the other areas of my track to level and fill in. Boy was I tired after hauling all that gravel in a small wheel barrow at a time out of my pickup. That little pile in the background is what was left of the 1/2 ton of ballast!! Always nice to have a little left over! Makes for running trains a lot better and smoother than before!! Things change all the time, and I get wild hairs to change for the better as I see the need!! Regal Pictures Before

AFTER

You can see in this last picture where the track used to lay by the dark trail left on the cement!! Notice from the first to the last picture other places in need of more ballast too, which was accomplished at the same time. I had several areas in need of some more ballasting!!

Jerry,
I like the change. I feel for you. I’ve been hauling and spreading gravel too.
But my gravel pile is 8 tons :open_mouth:
Ralph

That’s my 4th pickup load in two years do a little at a time!! So I now have about close to 2 ton of ballast on my 480 approx. foot of track layed out back there! Next project is to get some assimilation of life out there other than just track, ballast and green grass! Hah LOL Like a few buildings vehicles and such things to bring my miniature railroad to some sort of life! Instead of the flat lands! Regal
Like to get 4-5 of those Colo model buildings, and along with the 3 I now have and a water tower and grain elevator will have some appearance of life!! I hope anyways.

Started with 8 tons two years ago. Used most of it on the RR.
Just bought 8 more tons. About half will go on the driveway, and the rest on the railroad.

It will be nice when you put out some buildings. I haven’t put mine out yet this year. Don’t want to crush something while doing track work.
Ralph

how about 20 tons. That is what I started with just to put down the first bit of track. lost track of how much more I have added over the last three years. But Jerry nice change and can’t wait to see trains running.

Thanks for the compliments guy’s, I appreciate it very much!! These little railroads take a lot of work, a lot of people don’t realize!! Now on to some type of growth, plants, or sumtin, and some building or town of some sort!! Regal

I purchased a couple of tons of DGA 6/10 a month ago to bring my roadbed back up to par after the winter and construction to add a second track last summer. It looks good now. About $25 a ton.
Ron