Large Scale Central

Track Layout Ideas

I have an area approximately 32 feet wide by 26 feet deep as viewed from a slightly below ground level porch that I want to use for a new layout. As the space moves out from the porch it also goes up in elevation. I have been trying to layout a track plan for this area and continue to have a hard time coming up with one I’m happy with. Any suggestions on where to go for ideas, samples, etc.

Ray Dunakins (sp) web site. He posts on here regularly so you shouldn’t have any problem finding it. The In-ko-pah rr

Jim, It depends on what you want to do with your railroad. You will probably want a different design if you’re into watching the trains as opposed to operating them. Will you be running standard or narrow gauge? What type of railroad - logging, freight? Where are you located? The climate may also influence what is practical for you. Do you want an elevated railroad? How do you feel about gardens? When I re-designed my layout, I wanted something that I could operate trains on. I have two scheduled trains per day, and it’s designed to work with 1 to 4 people. I also wanted continuous running, for the times I want to just run. It wasn’t practical for me to elevate my railroad, so I wanted it to co-exist with the yard and enhance it with plantings. I operate in a point to loop configuration, and the loop also acts as a staging area. The idea of staging trains is to make it appear that they originate “offstage” and thus provide more traffic for the layout. The staging track can be either a source or a destination for off-road traffic. My interchange track ends up making a loop for continuous running. I’m also able to change directions, which was very important to me. The railroad is designed for the operator to follow along with the train, so all switches are manually thrown.

(http://www.jbrr.com/assets/images/jbrr-08_08b.jpg)

Some of my thinking appears over on my site: http://www.jbrr.com/html/redesign.html I have a number of planning books that I used for ideas. These include: - Realistic Model Railroad Building Blocks by Tony Koester - Realistic Model Railroad Design by Tony Koester - Track Planning for Realistic Operation, Third Edition by John Armstrong - Realistic Model Railroad Operation by Tony Koester I also got some track ideas from reading some of these books. They’re NOT for large scale, but you might be able to use some of the design elements. When enlarging a plan for outside, it’s VERY important to think about where you’re going to step. - Small, Smart & Practical Track Plans (Model Railroading) by Iain Rice - Mid-Sized & Manageable Track Plans (Model Railroader Books) by Iain Rice You can see that I’m heavily influenced by operations. :smiley: My track plan changed a bit once I got outside and started laying the track, but that was just part of the fun. It really helps to visit other garden railroads to get a feel for what you like and don’t like.

Cool. I hadn’t seen THIS before: http://macrodyn.com/ldsig/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Primer

Be advised that a lot of this applies mostly to indoor smaller scale layouts, but there’s still some good stuff there.

The goals of the new layout AT THIS TIME are more for watching the trains as opposed to operations. More involved in the garden and building of structures, bridges, buildings and such. I also want continuous running for 2 trains at once, without oversight.

We will be running narrow gauge with a lake and logging operation (at this time) and modeling in the 1930 to 50’s

I want the flexibility for some amount of operations, diesel trains, passenger service and other pursuits as time goes on. I don’t want the layout to keep me from possibly pursuing other parts of this hobby as time goes on if my desires or wants change and grow over time.

The site is in south central Missouri and will have to be built on the ground. I’m in the Ozarks and a level site is not a possibility, the site will require me to deal with 4 inch grades built into the final hill side design.

What I was hoping to find was ANY source for plans of actual garden railroads. Railroads that someone has been built and work. Finding that for every other scale is easy. I have read through multiple books and looked at many plans on-line but they don’t necessarily transfer to the garden very well.

I realize everyone’s property is different so every layout is very different. Sites with pictures of someone’s layout abound but most of the time there won’t be a drawing of the track layout. It makes it impossible to get a feel for the overall project. Just looking for samples to look at to help spur the brain to come up with ideas for my yard. Overall (for a lot of reasons I won’t go into here) I have one shot at getting it mostly right because there won’t be an opportunity for major changes in the track layout down the road.

Who knows a separate layout drawing section on a railroad forum where members could post theirs might someday happen!

When I first started, I laid out the track in the back yard, and held the pieces together with large rubber bands. (They’ll last a couple of weeks before they go).

I used bricks to support the track on grades. These would late be the places that I would put bridges or trestles.

This gave me an opportunity to see how my railroad would actually look in the yard. I also got a chance to run my trains and see where the grade might be a bit too steep.

Jim, maybe a pic of your area would help with more ideas. I’m on a hill and have at this point just laid track on the ground until I can get to the point of being able to landscape the area. This first pic shows the type of grade I have right now

(http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/dltrains/trackwork/trackwork009.jpg)

This is a basic track plan showing phase 1 and 2 of my plan.

(http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/dltrains/trackwork/TrackPlanphase2.jpg)

The below site is more picks of the first loop http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/dltrains/trackwork/ Maybe of help

Jim, The ground level is not really a problem… As stated by others here, you plan trestles, bridges, or build retaining walls, as shown in the picture below… The layout is in my yard, and the height differences of the yard is about 5 foot… One bridge is 5 foot above ground level…

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/andyc/Outside%20Layout%20Pictures/Sparta%20cut%2023%20July%2009/Hilltop-Sparta%20cut%20from%20deck%20Pic%202%20-%207-23-09.jpg)

The best way to figure out your trackplan is to get some blank paper, and just start drawing lines on it… different shapes, ways of travel, crossovers (if you want any)… Do this, until you have a track plan somewhat of what you have in mind… Once you have something in mind, that looks good to you on paper, then try to lay it out on a scaled sheet of paper, and see how it flows… Ask my wife, or Ric, they will tell you, my trackplan is all in my head… Most track plans I know of, are all in “Track Planning”" books, and those mostly deal with inside. climate control layout plans… Look at them, and take out the yards/engine facilities, industries, etc, and see how the mainline flows… Take a mainline off one plan, and a mainline off another plan and see how they might mesh together, to give you the two separate mainlines your looking for… Any track plan can be adapted for outside… Not sure if any of my rambling helps, hope it does… :slight_smile:

The planning phase has been in the works for over 2 years. I have spent that time on various forums and private sites trying to soak up all that I can. I have subscribed to GR magazine for over 2 years now and have been purchasing track, trains, etc as money and bargains have allowed. Thru all of this I have picked up alot of ideas and this spring we will break ground.

Just as with some of the posts here answering my question we have seen a number of layout drawings of actual garden railroad installations. My real question was whether drawing such as these can be found in one location. You find one or two in any magazine and run across one on a forum thread at times but no grouping where you could look and compare which provides ideas for things you may not have thought of before.

Maybe the solution is for a location for people to post diagrams with a little basic size info, etc. on their layout. Not books of HO scale drawings, mostly they don’t apply, drawings of REAL layouts maybe with a few comments from the builder about what they would do differently or are not happy with. Just like you see now with pictures being posted in one location but instead just layout drawing. I think it would be great for both new and experienced people alike and would generate many new ideas for others to use.

In the mean time thanks to all who took the time to post here with all the good information.

Jim,

Wishing for what doesn’t exist will probably just prove to be a waste of time. Garden Railways magazine usually has a featured layout with a track plan. Lay out a couple years of GRs on the floor and you will have this file you are looking for.

I spend quite a bit of time enjoying comparing where a picture is taken with the track plans. By doing this you can see elevations that you wouldn’t see otherwise. Like Andy said, for most of us it is in our heads and changes as the railroad develops. What you think was going to work on paper, many times does not work as planned when it is in the real world. Best to stay flexible and let the track plan develop as the work progresses.

Your statement that there won’t be much chance for change once the track is down is setting yourself up for frustration and dissapointment. The day a railroad is done is the day after your death or you’ve sold everything out of frustration and dissapointment because of unachieved goals, too much maintenance or unrealistic achievements. Let the railroad evolve and you can find a lifetime of enjoyment.

If you have this below ground level patio, I am assuming you want the track to be close there, its a good place to start. If you want two tracks for seperate operations, lay both of the tracks out near this patio. If you want to exhange many differnet trains on the tracks and do not plan a shed for train storage, this patio area will be a good place to load them on and off the track. How and where the loops will work there way around your allocated area depends on the rocks, reveans and oak trees that are already there or right below the surface. Enjoy the experience, it can be fun.

Jim
I spent along time looking, planing, asking questions, joined a club, drew plans and guess what. 1 day after starting my layout I tossed the plans. In the last three summers I have redone the layout each year to make it better and fix things I have found that did not work out the way I had planed them to. I have found that why my three loops are a main part I have also added sidings and other stuff so I can do some Ops on the railroad as well. Ric is right in that your railroad will always be changing.

Take your area and lay out some garden hose were you would like to see the trains go. See what is there, think about what you would like to build and then just put down some track. Don’t worry about what if’s. No amount of planing is going to keep you from finding something that doesn’t work right for you or that you would like to do better. When that happends, just change it and move on.

Good luck
Geoff

Speaking of GRR, one came yesterday and I haven’t read it yet. How very odd.

I also put a plan on paper and then tossed it. Im the typw of person who needs to see things physicaly. Reading and drawing does not sink in for me. I think the best approach is have a basic idea of what you want on paper. Then Lay track down or use a hose if you are planning to use flex track instead. Lay the track out until you have the look you are after. I found that was the best way. Dont forget you will probably add on as well. Go to the GR website you can track plans from past issues, print them out and then lay them out on the floor to compare.

My first phase was limited. I used sectional track. It did not give me many options. After the first year I started phase two and went with the flex track (its not really flex track like HO its the long length of straight track that you still need a rail bender to bend)

Just get going, and change as ya go!! If ya never start, you’ll never get finished!! And my feeling in this hobby is you really never finish, or get to the end its a never ending story, in my mind and others I feel. Your layout will change as your interests will also change. Just “Get er Done” Hah Regal

I can’t disagree with the rest. I’ve always been a Just Do It guy. That usually lead to do it again, and again :slight_smile: That’s OK because I enjoy building as much or more than running.

My plan did not survive first contact! :stuck_out_tongue:

i love plans!
during my last armchair-modeller phase i made about thirty.
when they became more and more similar, i knew the time came to leave the chair and start building.
(but i won’t tell, that after having built about 10% of the layout, it doesn’t look like any of the plans)

I drew my plan in crayon! Wait…I had a plan?

David, because you live in Pa, I hope you used Crayola brand crayons.

Plan…To build a railroad.

Out come…Railroad built.

Guess the plan worked. :slight_smile: