Large Scale Central

Track layout design?

Ric Golding said:
There has been good experience with the ladder method of roadbed here. Bruce Chandler and Bob McCown are two that come to mind immediately. I am unaware of anyone using it in this part of the country, so you can be a "beta test". How deep do you plan to drive the uprights?
The tell me the frost line is 36" so I was going to play it safe and go 48" on the up rights for ground level then as I need or would like to get away from a all flat lay out the uprights will be anywere from 1" to 20" max above that.

I looked over what others have done with the ladder method and think it should work well. It should also help me get away from thinking flat.
I’m sure I will still be bugging you and others as it all gets put back togather this spring and summer.

Love your layout. By the time I’m done I’m sure the GGRC will be sick of me.

But then I had a teacher that always said why rethink the wheel. If you can gain from others then you should. With the knowage that is on this site and in our club I should beable to do one heck of a layout.

Now I ust have to make sure I ask the right questions.

Quote:
But then I had a teacher that always said why rethink the wheel.
Of course, the Space Shuttle doesn't land on wooden spoked wheels;)

“The tell me the frost line is 36” so I was going to play it safe and go 48" on the up rights for ground level then as I need or would like to get away from a all flat lay out the uprights will be anywere from 1" to 20" max above that."

I spent 7 years of my life (1965 - 1972, when I was home) about 5 blocks from you on Des Peres Rd. 48 inches depth in or on Rock Hill may be a challenge. :wink: You know that big hole down the street from you? They blasted a lost of rock out of there. It was still very active when my parents bought that house. Used to haul it out by the railroad car load going right across McKnight Rd. on the Terminal Railroad right of way.

You know that big hole down the street from you?

I’m six house up from that hole.
They are now filling it in with the stuff from 40 as they redo the highway.

I just have to use a BIG hammer

Tom Ruby said:
Quote:
But then I had a teacher that always said why rethink the wheel.
Of course, the Space Shuttle doesn't land on wooden spoked wheels;)
True but the basic ideal is still the same.