Large Scale Central

Track hit by lithning Pictures (copy paste no comment)

Hi Folks, Someone in a German forum posted this pictures, showing the aftermath when hit by lightning. Since i think that this are interesting pictures, i like to post them here in this forum. think global Pius

He is lucky he didn’t burn down the house!

Steve Featherkile said:
He is lucky he didn't burn down the house!
You are absolute right, he also mentioned that the track is split just where it enters the home. In the Picture you see the yellow LGB track insulators.

think global Pius

Wow! you can see where the arc went right over the track insulators occured, darn right about not burning down the place, I wonder if it would have been worse without the insulators and a direct patchway…:open_mouth:

I saw that in a back issue of GR.

The track insulators wouldn’t make a bit of difference – lightning travels miles through the air, it’s not going to be stopped by a few millimeters of plastic.

I guess the track power guys need to get a surge protector! And put it somewhere outside!

Another reason to switch to battery power.

I think it was Tom Rudell that wrote that GR magazine article. We had quite a discussion about it over at the other place at the time he was struck. Based on his experience my track can be isolated from the house in two ways: Where the track enters the house it is done on a 5 foot removable bridge. I can remove the bridge leaving a 5 foot gap. There are better paths to ground through the ballast than to jump that gap (we hope).

I am wired for track power through 1 master feed. Where my low-voltage track power exits the house it terminates in an outlet box with an odd-ball plug. Three feet away is another outlet box with the same odd-ball plug. I have a jumper cable that I install between the two when I want to run track power. Again the hope is that there is a better path for the lightning than to jump the gap.

As a last defense I make sure my fire insurance is paid up :smiley:

I don’t think you could afford a surge protector big enough to protect against a direct hit.

Jon Radder said:
I think it was Tom Rudell that wrote that GR magazine article. We had quite a discussion about it over at the other place at the time he was struck. .
How is Tom, anyone heard...last word was he was selling out and moving to NC (I think)?
Jon Radder said:
I don't think you could afford a surge protector big enough to protect against a direct hit.
Yep.

I’ve seen a mountain-top communications facility on an isolated peak in Nevada. As you’d expect, lightning is a major issue, what with all the big metal antennas and such sticking up above everything else. They had thick copper cables running down the sides of the main structure, out to steel spikes in the ground all around the building. I don’t know what else they may have had for protection on the inside.

Jon Radder said:
I don't think you could afford a surge protector big enough to protect against a direct hit.
Assuming anyone makes one!
Steve Featherkile said:
I guess the track power guys need to get a surge protector! And put it somewhere outside!

Are you sure that switching to battery is enough. Pretend if your track is extended in to the home, would that not be still a high risk?

think global Pius

Ray Dunakin said:
Jon Radder said:
Yep.

I’ve seen a mountain-top communications facility on an isolated peak in Nevada. As you’d expect, lightning is a major issue, what with all the big metal antennas and such sticking up above everything else. They had thick copper cables running down the sides of the main structure, out to steel spikes in the ground all around the building. I don’t know what else they may have had for protection on the inside.

Hey Dunakin,
You wrote:out to steel spikes in the ground all around the building

Since my brother in law is installing lightning protection, i know a few things about it. One thing i am sure about is that steel rods in the ground will not work, especially in Nevada. The lightning rod should be made of cooper, that from top to bottom. The only way to get a 100% grounding, is to dig a 5-6 foot deep hole, to burie a cooper sheet. Be aware that in places like Nevada and Arizona, you might have to dig deeper, it will not work if the dirt is dry.

PJ

PJ said:
Since my brother in law is installing lightning protection, i know a few things about it. One thing i am sure about is that steel rods in the ground will not work, especially in Nevada. The lightning rod should be made of cooper, that from top to bottom. The only way to get a 100% grounding, is to dig a 5-6 foot deep hole, to burie a cooper sheet. Be aware that in places like Nevada and Arizona, you might have to dig deeper, it will not work if the dirt is dry.
Thanks for the info. It's been several years since I saw it. I knew it was some kind of big metal spikes or stakes, and a heck of a lot of cable.
PJ said:
Steve Featherkile said:

Are you sure that switching to battery is enough. Pretend if your track is extended in to the home, would that not be still a high risk?

think global Pius

PJ,

If the track extends into the home, the risk is still very real. Did I say that battery stuff out loud? Sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

I suppose that one could make a removable bridge of 5 feet or so that could be taken out if the weather-guessers predicted lightening. Or, just get in the habit of taking it out whenever you are not running.

If lightening can jump a 5 foot gap in track, nothing is safe. Or, if you are really worried, use one of those copper grounding stakes, with drip irrigation to keep it wet.