Large Scale Central

Track for marklin

Hi All, first, I am a marklin fan in H0, and I´m begining my garden layout , for 1.32 (marklin 1).

I have difficults in choose the track for my project. The design is a raised layout, powered track for marklin 1. Options:

1. Train li: brass nickeled, code 332, flex track, Beautiful track and switches, but oversized I believe. No rust, and simple clean.

2. Peco code 200 flex track

3. Llagas creek, code 215 or 250

4. Another ??

Thank you very much for your opinions

Jaime

If it was ground level I wouldn’t use anything less than 332, but raised I’d go with the Llagas Creek 250 stuff as they offer a very wide range of options, but being in Chile might make for some rather risky shipping, track being damaged in transit, no matter which way you go. Llagas offers nickel track as well, but it looks like the Peco might a bit less expensive. I would think shipping cost would be the deciding factor.

Hey! I know that the Marklin (not LGB Marklin) trains tend to have issues with non Marklin switches. I know I read that somewhere. That is why I hesitate to purchase any Marklin products. So I would suggest that you research that a bit more before you lay out any money for track that you may or may not be able to use.

Maerklin - Maerklin what?

Maerklin - LGB, or Maerklin - Maxi?

if you choose Maxi, don’t use code 332 rails. aparently Maxi fail/fall into the switch frogs of 332.

(a frequent theme in german forums)

I knew it was something. I just wasn’t sure what.

Jaime-

Welcome to Large Scale Central.

There is much experience shown on the LSC site. Here are some considerations from my 14 years in the hobby:

1 - If cost is a consideration, give some thought to aluminum rail – there are numbers of comments on the pro and con. At this point, the major objection was (has been) electrical continuity is diminished. Apparently, a number of readers have cited this is untrue. The cost is over 1/2 of brass or nickel, let alone stainless rail.

2 - Use 332 in any areas whereby you will need to walk on the track - granted, you are elevating it. However, any plants or scenery means maintenance by a human.

3 - Choose a layout location where most people will be able to watch, on their own, the layout. Having it in a portion of the yard that requires a specific approach to see it means there will some viewer conversation and then people will shortly return to where the seating is – and likely food and conversation. Having it in the back of the backyard behind the roses is not going to make it a repeated destination. If you have to take people to “see the train,” you are likely in for a one-time visit by any relatives and friends that are not RR addicted.

4 - Any chance of an "L’ or dog-bone shape means people will not be able to see the layout in its entirety with one glance. Head movement means a change in scene and less chance of boredom - especially from those who absolutely cannot fathom “having toys outside in the wet.”

Good luck - please keep us informed of your adventure

Wendell

Ok , thank you Vic!!

Ok, thanks to All,

How I can to select pictures for the messages?

Jaime

Jaime Ruz said:

Ok, thanks to All,

Jaime

hola, vecino,

you can either use the space this forum provides. (i don’t know, how that works)

or you can rent your own webspace somewhere,(to load up your pics) and link pics from that space to the forum.

Jaime Ruz said:

Ok, thanks to All,

Jaime

When you joined you were given a Freight Shed for pictures. On the header above click on Freight Sheds, then on a lower header is Manage my Folders.

I had to name one, to open one.

At the top of your open folder click on Upload File, then there is a button; Browse. Click that and select a pic, repeat until you have all you want to upload listed. Then click on Start Upload. After they load they will be listed in your folder. Click on one to open and then (I use Firefox as my browser) I right click on the open pic and I copy the image location. That link goes in the picture icon (a mountain and a moon) pop up box in the reply editor. Click on ok and there you go. pic posted! Move cursor down for next pic and repeat. Best to use two tabs one for your post and the other your open pic folder.

I hope this helps,

John