Large Scale Central

Track/Ballast channel

Not too happy with my results digging a channel and lining it with landscape cloth, and having run out of the bender board I was using to make channels, I noticed a 100 foot roll of 3-inch drainage hose. Well, this method may not work in areas with frost heave, but I found that it was very easy to slit it in half with a box cutter and screw it down to my benchwork to contain soil on the outside and hold ballast on the inside. It takes a natural curved set, and curves gently, much like the track should. It’s working well for the bench area, and will go into regular soil next. I need to poke a few drainage holes so it does not collect water, but I am liking this new method. Thoughts?

Yes, instead of drilling the drainage holes why not use drainage pipe? The type that farmers use in the soggy fields.

Our club layout uses this exact method though we use the same drainage pipe used in sump pump systems (6"?). Called “drain-tile” it already has slits for drainage. When buried in the soil and filled with ballast only the very edges protrude above the surface. The track then free-floats in the ballast. It has given use flawless operation for years. Had my current layout not already have been placed on 6" of crushed granite I would have done the same.

Any edges that “show” actually look like metal retaining barriers used in 1:1 applications to control erosion.

Sounds like a good idea. I would just add my recommendations of using “drainage Tile” so you dont have to cut drain holes. Usually Drainage tile comes with a nylon sock around it. Just take the sock off and use like you did the above pipe.

Yeah, I would have used pre-slitted hose, but this is what I had. Would have been easy enough to run it over the table saw with a very low blade, If I had thought of it first. But I didn’t, so I will have to hit it with an awl or something. Possibly better, as it will put the holes at the dead bottom of the channel for best drainage.

I am not surprised to learn that others are already doing this. Once my eye fell on the coil there, it was a natural!

That is a neat idea but even in frost free zones I would worry about it lifting and it would be a real chore to get it back down. Maybe you could drive spikes into the ground and atach the pipe to it?
I once thought about using plastic gutters for the straight sections of track. They come in 10’ lengths but then what to do for the curves? your idea could be used.
I like it.

I am sure that some sort of spike would work fine. The first run is screwed down to the benchwork, so no worries there. For free-range dirt, I suppose, you could take some care to lay sand under the pipe, which might help, and you could put a hole in the bottom of the pipe and drive some sort of stake through it to spike it down. Maybe even some sort of screw.

I imagine that the problem is that if there is lifting, tacking it down every few feet will still result in a problem. Possibly a worse one since then it would be uneven. So, perhaps the better approach is NOT to spike it down, and either hope it does not lift (my plan) or layer a sub-bed of sand under the pipe to reduce the lifting risk.