Large Scale Central

Todd's 2020 Mik's Build Challenge

The chimney has arrived. Thank you David and now the challenge begins on trying to decide what to build. I thought about a replica of an old shed that used to stand behind my house that the insurance company forced me to take down. It had a floating chimney. Or I might attempt to build a model of my favorite station that stands at the top of Crawford Notch in NH. Over the weekend my wife and my niece went up to ride the steam in the snow special out of North Conway. I put a link to the video of the run bys in the prototype section if you want to check it out.

Usually I have been traveling when the challenge starts up but this year I have been stuck remodeling my former rental house which is over one hour away. I stay there during the week and come home on the weekends but the real problem is all of my tools are at the house which means I will have to build the structure up there. Not ideal so I might have to wait on the station build but I’m sure I can get something cobbled together.

Stay tuned.

What…!! No Napkin? So unlike you…

But…but…but…this would be do darn cool. If I ever win the lottery, I’ll tear down my garage and put up a replica of this.

Or . . .

That is the one John. I was up there Sunday and walking around in the 18 degree temperatures taking some amazing photos while the wind whipped at me. I have photos of that station throughout the year.

No napkin yet Dave because I’m still kicking around what I’m going to do. The shed would be the easiest given my time constraint. The Crawford station might be too complex to get done in the time we have and what I can devote to it. Another idea would be to rebuild the engine house that I built several years ago for this challenge when the door was the starting point. The elements have not been kind to the materials I used for it.

Another snafu that is keeping me from my house project and my tools is that my mother in law is visiting from Ireland. She visited last week with my wifes sister and this week she is coming to us.

This thing called “life” is getting in the way of trains! LOL

I have a plan! After much thought and considering my predicament of my tools in one location and me in another for the weekend I have scaled back my ideas. I would really like to tackle that Crawford notch station but that is not going to happen. I was also thinking about rebuilding my 2 bay engine house but that can wait for another time. I thought about building a mini replica of the small workshop that used to stand in my backyard but that is too simple so here is my new plan. My RR is track powered and I use electric household light switches to turn off sidings so I can park trains. I call these switch shacks. I built one disguised as a speeder shack last year and I really like it so now the plan for the build challenge is to cut the chimney in half and build 2 much needed switch shacks. I would like to break out the dado blade and attempt cutting clapboards on both of these but we shall see about that. One will be a type of cliff hanger that will go at the coal facility site. The other will guard the entrance to “china” my first factory where they build everything. That one will require 2 switches to be built into the building.

The napkin sketch.

Ok, having a bit of trouble clicking into my photos on freight sheds but it finally worked.

Now that is a novel idea, Todd. Now remember, if one of your buildings win the grand prize, you only get half, since it will only use half the chimney (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Well the bosses managed to get out to the build sites for a survey and they were joined by a quirky character that talked a lot but he seemed to know his stuff about building and developing so we let him talk and talk. He assured us that whatever is finally erected at the 2 locations they will be tremendous, huge and beautiful.

Location one is the most important priority. The red building will be removed. The demolition crew will be brought into dynamite the rock that the bosses are standing on and that is where the new building will sit.

Location 2 is of secondary concern but the RR would really like a more modern switch shack at that location. When the trestle was rebuilt to accomadate the second track the RR decided to reuse the existing shack but now that guy with the big hair is thinking big and he ensures us that he can get it done on time and under budget. We shall see. Construction on building one should start this week.

looks good so far

Well, if the big hair guy can maintain that hair, I’m sure he can build a couple buildings.

Todd Haskins said:

That is the one John. I was up there Sunday and walking around in the 18 degree temperatures taking some amazing photos while the wind whipped at me. I have photos of that station throughout the year.

Todd I am displaying two pictures to only encourage you to build your version of the station with the witchhat entrance, This is my version, It is a monumental build.

IMG_0602 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

station 1 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

So go for it

Todd

Not sure if you have figured out the dado formula for Lap siding, the picture I have here is 5/16" dado, saw set on 12 degree, move fence every 1/4", and just barely cut all the way across the 5/16".

If you have yours figured out, scratch this, and good luck.

Dennis

Dan Hilyer said:

Well, if the big hair guy can maintain that hair, I’m sure he can build a couple buildings.

Ha! yeah that hair is an engineering marvel.

That station is a beauty Dennis. Really incredible. Maybe someday I can build that Crawford notch station and do it a bit of justice to it but this time I’ m building a shack or 2.

I have cut clapboard with my dado before and I think I used 1/2 spacing that came out pretty good.

Here is the engine house that I built for a prior Miks build challenge where I used the dado blade to make a clapboard side.

I will have to keep your numbers in mind if I do go the clapboard route on these builds.

What material are y’all using to cut the clapboard siding out of? Plywood, Sintra, etc? What thickness?

Dan Hilyer said:

What material are y’all using to cut the clapboard siding out of? Plywood, Sintra, etc? What thickness?

I used masonite for the engine house build but even with many coats of paint the wet has found its way in to do damage. I have been bringing the building in over the Winter but it is still beat up pretty bad. I found a 2x4 PVC panel at Home Depot for $24 that I had planned on using for this years build but time restraints has dampened my ambitions. I do plan on rebuilding the engine house someday and I will use the PVC board. I think it is 1/2 thick.

Progress has been extremely slow to the point where I might only get one shack done.

I have been using PVC for the parts of my buildings that will touch the ground to help avoid rot so for this challenge I built a quick PVC base from 1/2x1/2 strips. I will plank the top with 1/8x3/4 pine strips ripped on the table saw.

Here is the building itself famed with 1/2x1/2 pine. I was going to use my dado on the pvc panel to make a clapboard type building but this building will be going at the mining facility that has vertical siding, plus it is easier and quicker to build it like that and time is getting short.

The planking is now on the base and the sides of the building with cutouts for a double door that is yet to be built and a spot for 2 switches that will be used to isolate the siding. Here the build is being tested at the site and instead of putting in a vertical lift I think one that is placed at an angle would be better. I’m considering setting up a working winch for the lift but we shall see. The red building will eventually me moved to another location.

That’s all for now.

Hang in there Todd… you still have 3 more weekends to go…

Good progress… keep at it…

Dave

Todd, I’m quite confident that that structure will pass any earthquake building codes you may encounter. Not to worry about someone stepping on it and causing damage (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Dan Hilyer said:

Todd, I’m quite confident that that structure will pass any earthquake building codes you may encounter. Not to worry about someone stepping on it and causing damage (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

We don’t fool around here when building stuff. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)