Large Scale Central

Todd H. Mik 2023 Build

My build is just about finished but I would like to add a few extra details to it on the rooftop. I have a 3d printer and I already printed out a couple of turbo air vents but i think it would be neat to have a HVAC box up there. I started to cobble together bits of plastic trim wood yesterday but I think a 3d print would be better. Does anyone have a link to a file?

1 Like

I looked on GrabCad.com, didn’t find much. There is an air handler model or two (searched on hvac), but not sure how much work you’d have to do before printing.

You might also consider a rooftop water tank, out of wood or metal, for fire suppression. But naah, that would to old for your build. Or just various vent pipes. Or a pair of young donut makers who’re taking their 10 minute break together…

Looks great as is!

Take a look here:

That would be funny Cliff to have a couple of young workers on the roof chillin. There is a sign on the wall at my local DD that reads “If you have time to lean you have time to clean”.

I have taken to using Yeggi when I can’t find things on Thingiverse: https://www.yeggi.com/

1 Like

I saw that one Dan but it is 1/48 scale. How easy is it to upscale say to a roundy 1/24? Plus it has a solid core which means it would take days to print. I’m really new to this 3D printing stuff so altering files is above me. Thanks for looking.

Todd, you can scale it in your slicing software and print it with say 10% infill at 0.3mm and it wil only take about 40 minutes to print. And its not a solid core model, the interior is hollow. Now, this model was not designed for a filament printer so it will need supports in quite a few places and that will require some cleanup.

I’m giving it a try and so far so good.

I’m glad that Dave is giving us another day with this challenge. This added detail will be nice.
I tried printing out a doll house chair and table that was already scaled to 1/24 but I kept breaking the leg on the chair when I was cleaning it up. I was going to put them in the front window of the donut shop. Maybe I can get back to it tomorrow. Other than the fine details my build is done.

Great I thought my 1 hour saw, carve cut and glue rooftop A/C unit looked ok, but now everyone is Printing their own! LOL!
Good luck with it Todd hope it turns out great and that DD will look awesome !

I thought the printing would be slick but I’m not that impressed. I wasted so much time trying to print a table and 2 chairs for the front window and I finally scrapped the table legs, ripped them off and glued a piece of PVC pipe to the table top. I think the rooftop AC would have been better if I had cobbled one together like you did. oh well.

The challenge is just about wrapped up and my building is 99% done and good enough for now. The roof top appliances are just sitting there and the table and chairs will just be placed on a board and put in the front window for the glamor shots.

Here it is as it now stands.

8 Likes

Okay Todd, this really came out awesome. There are some impressive builds but that looks like the real deal to me.

Nice - Right down to the custom Dunkin door handle!

Todd,

I’ll have to send Y.D. over to craft some donuts for that shop! It looks tremendous!

Eric

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Of course I had to fashion a “D” door handle. I cut it from a piece of plastic and coloured it with a pink sharpie. I’m very pleased with how the whole build came out. The take out window was a challenge to build from Plexi but it came out nice with the added pin striping and the mail on the rail hook for the train crews that don’t have time to stop was a last minute add.

4 Likes

I also made a little movie featuring the DD. The Shay crew was picking up breakfast and dropping of some extra napkins for the Grand Opening. The townsfolk are very happy to have a coffee shop.
A Dunkin Donuts for the Garden Railroad - YouTube

1 Like

Tod, Great build and an original idea, love the drive thru.

Todd, bravo. You and Rick just did a great job of near perfect realism. Others did an equally great job of awesome models. But you two nailed the pure authenticity.