Large Scale Central

Todd H. MIK 2022 Build

Looks great, Todd. I like how you used just ordinary stuff laying around the house to create the mechanical parts.

Thanks Guys.

I am leaning towards shingles, it would be a first but I’m also thinking tar paper strips.

Yeah my stuff tends to be built rugged because it will be living outdoors and I have found the little details get trashed. I don’t know about it surviving cat5 hurricane but maybe a cat1 or even a chipmunk2 :grin:

I understand. The ice house I built did not fair well outside. it was my first attempt to build a building that I used outside and it did not hold up. It is in need of major repair. It will be hard for me to not detail the heck out of future stuff (its what I love to do) but it just isn’t practical for outdoor use, at least in my environment and the people (and dogs) I have crawling on my layout.

I hear you Devon, the details can really make the average incredible and you do a great job at that.

I’m lucky that I have a good imagination that can fill in the blanks on my structures. When I was a kid I had HO trains and my buildings were basically scraps of wood nailed together and it worked for me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The project is coming along.
The building has been painted and stained. The sand hopper is painted and the doors are made.

The hopper tower is attached.

I stopped by the beach today to grab some sand. I made a foam base that the sand will be glued to. I have to do some research on what will work best for that.

The doors got some extra bracing. They are built on plexiglass with craft sticks glued with E6000. The extra bracing is held on with tightbond3. The edges of the sticks gets an extra brush of glue to give these small pieces extra strength against the elements. They will be painted red.

Next up is tacking the roof and attaching the hopper and details.

Really looking good, Todd. Can’t wait to see it all come together.

For the kids’ dioramas, we’ve used a base of Titebond or white glue then sprinkled on the sand. After that, use a diluted white glue, say 50/50, and run it over the sand to hold down the loose stuff.

Eric

Yep good old white glue or since it will be outside Titebond 3. Lather it on and sprinkle the sand When its dry blow of the loose stuff. Reapply where necessary. I don’t know about Titebond 3 but you can also thin white glue with water and spray it with a spray bottle and then add the sand.

I have been busy with work all week but now that project is done and I can dedicate time to bring the Mik to the finish line. Last weekend I mixed up some tightbond3 with a bit of water and used it to stick sand onto the block. This will be a removable pile of sand so I setup a form in a box. In the photo is the second coating of glue and sand since some of the pink was still showing.

Another part I started was the roof shingles. The front will be tougher to shingle since I already attached the hopper tower and will have to work around it. I do plan on putting a roof hatch on (non functional) to add a bit more interest. The crew needs to have access to the tower if needed.

Todd, I like the shingle roof. About how long are your shingles?

The shingles are about 5/8 x 1" . They came from a dollhouse kit that I built for a girlfriend way back in the mid 80’s. I knew they would come in handy someday :grin:

I think I’m done and in plenty of time too! I have been thinking about adding hoops over the sand pile to indicate that a tarp could be put over it but 99% of the sand houses I have seen both real and model do not have them so…? Why mess. I did dirty up the sand hopper and added a hose to it. The hose has a wire inside it so I can bend it back and out of the way. Smoke stacks, a non functioning light made from a suction cup, a ladder, roof hatch and chains to operate the funnel brought it all together. The sand box is multiple layers of glue and sand with a final dash of spray glue and a sprinkle of sand on top for good measure. I hope the sand can withstand the outdoor elements come the Spring but it is removable just in case with drain holes underneath. This was a fun build of something I have been wanting to do for a time. The next step is to make some room for it in the main yard.

3 Likes

Looking really good Todd, looking forward to seeing it out on the layout

that came out real nice

Well done Todd you sure came close to the real thing. :sunglasses:

Thanks guys. The rainy cold dampness is supposed to clear up tomorrow so I hope to get this out on the RR for the glamor shots. :slightly_smiling_face:

Todd, you probably haven’t had the chance yet, but I didn’t see your pics on the official voting thread, so this is just a ping (one ping only though). :grin:

Ha “One ping only” .

The photos are coming. I had to set up a mounting platform where the sand house will be going on my yard bench and then I ran out of light.
Patience Grasshoppers. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The photos are up in the voting thread.
Here are a few of the finished sand house.