Large Scale Central

TOC....Question for you

With a Batt/RC operated railroad:
You don’t need any type of rail clamp, do you?
Just the sliders than connect the track. Or do you have special areas where clamps come in handy?
jb

Even though I’m battery/rc I did use clamps at bridges to prevent track shrinkage and derailments. I didn’t want any accidents!

I’d say the same applies for the turnouts, at least it saves work when one has to be removed.

John,

You did ask TOC, so I think he should offer his opinion. However, to offer reasons for why we use clamps on track that is powered and unpowered. We’ve put clamps in in many places to hold the track together because of expansion and alignment. I also agree that they work for easy removal of turnouts. Just my $0.02.

Another case would be a transition from one size rail to another. As in a mainline with code 332 to a siding with code 250…

Sorry.
Been a tad busy with the yard and rr, big do next weekend.
I use slip joiners and attach my track to stakes or stakes with plates.
This keeps you from having to stuff ballast under the outer rail all the time, and allows you to run REAL close to the edge on elevated sections.

That said, I have 10 rail clamps to allow bridge removal for wheelchairs, lawnmowers, and wheelbarrows.
And two 332-215 adaptor clamps.

That’s in the entire 1400+ feet.

I find slip joiners are cheaper, allow the rail to expand and contract in the slip joiners, and allows me to attach the track to something.
I have now gone to TREX for stakes.

On turnouts (Llagas) I cut the bonds under the ties outboard of the points before installing.
If I need to remove one, I just bunch up the ties, slide the joiner to follow, lift one end and pull away the other.

TOC

I’m no TOC, but I do use some clamps…mainly for my few turnouts, and in a few transitions…for my battery powered, and RCS controlled trains to travel.

My thanks to all the TOC’s!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
You have saved me about $400 in Hillman costs.
Yes, my new outdoor layout is going to be 100% RC/Batt, but that’s a story for another time.
jb

Hello it’s SteveZ again what are slip joiners?

Steve,
Those are the joiners that come allready attached LGB/Aristo/USA, etc, sectional track.
The rail slips inside as you join the track.
TOG