Large Scale Central

Titley Court's maiden run on the new railway

How about a short video of my Bassett Lowke Titley Court on her maiden run on my completed layout.  Still need to level the table up as there is quite the downgrade on one side.  Thus the need to temper the speed a bit prior to the curve.  We dont need her rolling over due to excessive speed now do we?  Smooth run, front pilot axle needs a bit of attention, one wheel has a bit of a wobble to it.   But for a nearly 100 year old model, she runs well.   She is internally alcohol fired, originally a Smithies/Water tube boiler, she was professionaly reboilered at some point to a JVR Type C fire tube boiler.  All of these models were originally pot boilers when Bing made them for Bassett Lowke in 1924.  But they sold poorly as gauge one had moved outdoors and pot boilers are not the best choice for that, especially in damp and windy England.  So in the early 1930's, a modeler had BL modify one with a internally fired boiler.  It was so sucessfull that most of the remaining stock was converted and the service to convert other models to this type of firing was offered as well.    

https://youtu.be/t3OuacVfqqU

Wow Mike, you’ve gone so far since I saw your initial ground-based layout. Beautiful benchwork.

Neat to see an “old gal” running, looking like she’s in her prime.

Great job!

And thanks John for reposting the vid.

Cliff