Large Scale Central

Tim's 2022 Mik project

Such as it is.

Couple years back, I redid the track plan, turning the lower level from two loops into one big loop - I wanted a bit more distance between stations. One effect of this was that Middleton Station (the ‘big city’ on the layout) suddenly gained space enough for an actual platform instead of the previous undersized ledge. Building said platform got put off - until now.

The gain in space lets me do more than tack on the platform. It lets me more the entire station - a two-part, four-story abomination out two inches, providing a better view into what I think of as the ‘back court’ - an area I added to give Middleton a bit of depth. (Most of Middleton facades.) That doesn’t quite fit the terms of this year’s Mik, but it’s part of the same project.

Also included is a retaining wall bordering part of the platform (which will also serve to hold up one end of a street or parking lot.)

More carpentry than modeling…but I do have a pile of detail items for the platform, so…

Anyhow -

Back of the envelope sketch:

Mik 2022 - 0

The work area as it stands now:

Mik 2022 - 2

And the ‘Back Court’ -Mik 2022 - 1

Been having to contend with an assortment of ‘life’ issues ranging from the annual tax nightmare to leaky pipes.

That said, a notion did occur to me to make Middleton Platform a bit more interesting - extending the station a tad.

Collected some wood and panels from the ‘Colorado Model Structures’ pile. Trick is how to assemble everything…

Don’t matter me personally and I am a judge as we all are for the Mik challenge. Assembly can range from scotch tape to bubble gum or E600 and then there is 3M adhesive along with both and pinning or nail and screws. However if you can vac seal it and send it up on a Space X mission when the astronauts return PLEASE check their suit for any loose change but focus on their boots once back on earth as gravity is a tricky thing.

It’s a Mik challenge!

:rooster:

Had a second leak open up - right above the workbench, turning it from a mess into a disaster zone. The leaks have stopped for now, but roof work awaits come summer. Ugh.

Despite that I did make slow and painful headway on this year’s Mik project. After a great deal of trial and error - mostly error - I managed to get the base for the station extension built and get most of the pieces painted. Decided because of the angle to make the top part into a switch tower. Middleton station promises to be a sprawling monstrosity when finished.

Anyhow, a couple pics. Took more than that, but the photo app is acting up.

Mik 2022-3

Mik 2022-4

Sorry to hear about the roofing woes. Thats never fun. Glad to see you making progess on the build despite it.

Today’s Mik efforts were mostly dedicated to sifting through my dwindling lumber supplies in search of pieces that would suffice for the street/parking lot beside the station. Found some suitable slabs, but it took longer than anticipated.

Bought some glue for this project - seven bucks for one bottle? really? - but I might not need it.

It - whatever it is - is starting to take shape.

First, a front view of the station/switch tower - and an angled view of the station it’s attached to:

Mik 2022-5

Then, the base for the parking lot/street/sidewalk. You can also see a little into the ‘back court.’
Mik 2022-6

Then a front shot of the top floor of the ‘old station.’ Not really part of the Mik Project, except that it’s attached to both the platform and switch tower thing.

Mik 2022-7

Much of today was spent making lots of cuts into 2x4’s and 2x6’s then gluing the pieces together for the base of the platform proper. Those pics didn’t turn out - the light was so bad even the editing program couldn’t help.

Looking good, Tim. Is the interior of the last photo a picture in the window or did you model that?

I modeled it. James Bond shooting Doctor No (at least that’s what the figures were advertised as when I bought them off EBAY years ago). Also a couple hoisting wine glasses and a musician getting ready to go on stage.

I’m going to play with the photo editor thing and see if I can’t get other decent interior shots - like the RR headquarters on the second floor.

1 Like

A little more progress today. The big accomplishments were the upper floor/roof on the ‘Switch Tower’ and tacking in a third window on that. Also started gluing together the CMS steps that will run from the sidewalk to the floor/roof of the switch tower.

Probably narrow the street/parking lot tomorrow or the next day - don’t care for that degree of overhang.

Anyhow:

Base for Middleton Platform proper. Looks like a mess - and it is.

Mik 2022-8

Lunch wagon showed up to help feed the construction crew.

Mik 2022-9
Another attempt to get a pic of the ‘back court’

Mik 2022-10

Progress pic on the switch tower. Looks like the ceiling will be just barely tall enough.

Mik 2022-11!

A couple more pics of Middleton Station:

Best pic I could manage of the ‘toasting couple.’ They’re LEMAX people from the fall collection if anybody is interested.

Choo-Choo Club 2

An attempt at a ‘long shot’ through the ‘Choo-Choo Club.’

Choo-Choo Club

Middleton HQ - second floor of the station:

Middleton RR Office

Back part of the RR HQ.

Middleton RR Office 2

1 Like

Getting there.

The street/parking lot is wrapped up:
Mik 2022 - 12

Mik 2022 - 13

Platform is done as well.

Mik 2022 - 18

Mik 2022 - 19

Started in on the detail items for the switch tower. Turned this pile of stuff into a desk:

Mik 2022 - 16

Big item left is the roof for the switch tower and more detail items.

Mik 2022 - 21

Should get it finished in the next couple of days.

Looking good Tim, can’t wait to see it finished.

1 Like

Guess it’s about as ‘done’ as these things ever are.

Switch Tower interior:

Mik 2022 - 22

Homies going at it in the back court:

Mik 2022 - 23

Switch tower front view with roof - black construction paper hides a multitude of mistakes:

Mik 2022 - 24

Middleton Platform proper. Find Waldo and family:

Mik 2022 - 25

Railfans on the retaining wall and a view of the street/parking lot:

Mik 2022 - 26

I might take the remaining posterboard and try to give the rest of Middleton actual parking lots instead of bare OSB.

2 Likes

Tim,

Great work, as always, in turning trash into treasure at the far end of the supply chain!

I notice, however, you don’t wear shorts and go barefoot on your end of the supply chain!

Eric

I had to fire up the snowblower just to get out of the driveway this morning.

Now that I think about it though, one of my quasi relatives moved to your corner of the world, and given her job and your interests, it’s possible you’ve seen her a few times.

that came out great Tim

It’s a small island!