Large Scale Central

Ties...NG vs SG

So I’m a cheap track junkie…and here at home I have a mixture of NG and SG trackage from AC (all bought used)…was wondering if I could buy NG ties to replace my SG (From AC)? it may not be a profitable idea, but curious anyways…or if anyone that has a surplus of NG ties and wants SG ties?..

cale

Why?, just add a little more ballast on top and you cant really tell what size ties you have under there.

I have a mix also but to tell the truth, I havent really noticed where the small ties start and the large ties end. Its all jumbled together :wink:

I found 50 locally, I’m gonna pick up…yeah, it’s not too noticeable, but in places it can stand out…

Depending on what switches you have, you may get a mix anyway. If I remember correctly, the AC wide switches are only available with “standard gauge” ties. Same with some diameters of the curved track.

Just put the wrong ties in the farther reaches of the layout. Nobody will notice as long as they’re not right next to each other.

I opted for the “American” ties long ago. I run both Std. Gauge and Narrow gauge on the same track, so one would always be wrong. The tie spacing doesn’t bother me as much as the track color. That’s why I use SS and paint the sides.

Tom Ruby said:
Just put the wrong ties in the farther reaches of the layout. Nobody will notice as long as they're not right next to each other.
narrow minds think alike!....what will prob end up happening in the end....use SG in tunnels and where I can camo!

cale