Large Scale Central

Tie troubles

I had my track down for 5 years in the hot/sunny Central Valley of California. When I took it up to move, most of the ties (Aristo and LGB) were like eggshells - cracked and easily broken. I’ve thought about getting new ties - any suggestions?

You probably had a bad batch of tie strips. I’ve had some for 20 years and it’s still good. Try ordering some new tie strips.

consider a coat of paint on your next batch?

It seems like a good idea, thanks.

Ed, Aristo used to provide free replacements for failed tie strips. Unfortunately, I assume they are no longer available since the demise of the original company. You might be able to buy some from USA Trains or perhaps Accucraft. Likely they will cost some but better than buying new track. I know some of the fellows here make their own ties, but it can be time consuming. Good luck.

I’ve made my own ties from redwood fence boards. That’s not hard to do for a switch, but for many feet of track it may not be worth it. The spikes have pulled out of the ties, and I’m having to redo about forty feet of sidings.

Hey Ed, check out Scott Polks new “Polks GeneratioNext”. Aristo Craft may be gone but Scott has opened a new company and has a container of new track coming in with “Euro” tie strips.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/20553/aristo-generation-next-latest

Chuck

TrainLi also sells tie strips. They are similar to the Aristo USA tie strips. And TrainLi sells them in several different colours.

I can’t say for North American dealers but there are one or two UK dealers who have Aristo ties without track for sale. There is, I believe, a good chance that some Stateside dealers also still have stocks. Well worth 'phoning some of them.

Can’t comment about the LGB ones.

Aristo ties were junk and didn’t last long out side, But Train Li makes ties in American and euro

that will fit, Also AML ties fit great as well. wouldn’t hold you breath on the next Generation thing,

Looks like he is just selling up old stock aristo that’s been left in ching that they couldn’t afford before, and then he’ll most likely be gone as well.

Very hard to trust a new owner that ran his old company into the ground.

P.S. Why does so ive been told Cordeless battery company own generation domain ???

Just more games I guess.

Nick, I haven’t had issues with my Aristo USA ties, besides breakage from them hoofed rats (deer) walking on the track. I doubt that any manufacturers ties would stand up to that. But then I do spray paint my track and ties to give a more weathered look. Maybe that helps, I dunno.

David Maynard said:

Nick, I haven’t had issues with my Aristo USA ties, besides breakage from them hoofed rats (deer) walking on the track. I doubt that any manufacturers ties would stand up to that. But then I do spray paint my track and ties to give a more weathered look. Maybe that helps, I dunno.

David, Spraying them with paint or Armoral is a good ideal as it has been well documented about

Aristo’s tie issues over the years, you would have thought they would have Ajusted there UV Formula.

Ken Brunt said:

You probably had a bad batch of tie strips. I’ve had some for 20 years and it’s still good. Try ordering some new tie strips.

From who?

Micro engineering, train-li, accucraft

Tom Ruby said:

Ken Brunt said:

From who?

From anybody that sells 332 tie strips…:wink:

Like above.

I’ve always had great luck with LGB tie strips here on the desert. I just moved some track that’s been down 10 years and the LGB strips are like new.

On the other hand, Fairplex in Pomona laid Aristo strips and I believe they are replacing them for the second time!

I have not had any issues with my Arsito ties. I personaly dont like the look of plasstic ties. My plan is to handlay all my track come spring.

Shawn (napkin builder) Viggiano said:

I have not had any issues with my Arsito ties. I personaly dont like the look of plasstic ties. My plan is to handlay all my track come spring.

When you do, run the old ties through the dishwasher when the wife isn’t home. You can then sell them for big $ on fleabay.

Jon Radder said:

Shawn (napkin builder) Viggiano said:

When you do, run the old ties through the dishwasher when the wife isn’t home. You can then sell them for big $ on fleabay.

I like the way you think :slight_smile:

Shawn, you’re too ambitious for me.

I have a combination of Aristo Craft and LGB on my outdoor layout. The track has been down

more than ten years with minimal problems due to UV issues. But then again, my track

isn’t subjected to the same conditions that Ed’s track and ties are. I’m fortunate that my pike

is more than partially shaded in the summer time by two large maple trees. They also offer a

shady spot to park a few chairs for when my fellow large scalers visit.

Pat

PS Fifty Two days till ECLSTS, that means spring is around the corner !!!