Large Scale Central

This looks like it was a lot of fun

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/08/travel/escapes/08RAILCARS.html

Looks like a ā€œSpeederā€ club. Guys restore those things then run them where ever they can get permission. Wouldnā€™t want to try that on the Amtrak mainlineā€¦:wink:

Thereā€™s a guy about a mile up the road from me that has a few of those in his yard.

Good article at your link.

The North American Railcar Operators Association (link) has nearly 2000 members and is quite active in operating excursions. I see 10 outings scheduled between now and the end of August.

They had a run on the Northwestern Pacific RR from Healdsburg to north of Ukiah a few years back. I think we counted ~15 cars ranging from simple well worn units on up to full custom treatments for paint, seating and enclosures. I think it would be great fun!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Apparently fun for about a half a mile or so, no springs, and the exhaust from the others around you are enough to make many illā€¦

I had a chance at buying two until I was talked out of it by people that have owned/ridden them in the past. One was 3ā€™ gauge, would not have been too useful here in Tennessee!

I figured it would would combine both the old gasoline motor and railroad hobby for meā€¦but it was not to happen.

Garrett, is the 3ā€™ gauge motor car still for sale? I love narrow gauge!

I have a buddy here with one. He LOVES the excursions. Jerry

David Miller said:
Garrett, is the 3' gauge motor car still for sale? I love narrow gauge!
That was about ten years ago, sorry. The other (SG) one may still be around per recent conversations with dad, I can find out next week for you.

You havenā€™t had a rough speeder ride until youā€™ve ridden a wooden speeder powered by a hit-and-miss over rough track :smiley: Iā€™ve had the pleasure of riding several of EBTā€™s speeders over all operable track.

(http://www.ebtrr.com/pics/l-myers/ebt_1502.jpg)

We rode this handmade electric speeder and trailer on the ET&WNC track.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Events/EasternNG/DSC04264.JPG)

It was nice because it was so quiet. Trackwork was OK for the most part.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Events/EasternNG/IMG_4413.JPG)

But, you could sure feel the bump when we rode over a twig laying on the track.

Jon Radder said:
You haven't had a rough speeder ride until you've ridden a wooden speeder powered by a hit-and-miss over rough track :D
That old beauty sure combines two of my hobby interests!

Jack

Back in the late 70ā€™s and early 80ā€™s, after the tracks through Carrizo Gorge were more or less abandoned due to extensive storm damage, my brothers and I used to hike the tracks. We occasionally encountered people riding homemade speeder powered by lawnmower or go-cart engines.

In fact we almost got killed by one of them ā€“ we were hiking back to camp after sunset and didnā€™t have flashlights. As we were crossing a long trestle that had no catwalk, a homemade speeder came roaring up the tracks. No headlight, and no muffler. They couldnā€™t see us or hear us. All we could do was get out on the very end of the ties and pray the thing wasnā€™t too wide. Missed us by inches.

When the tracks were first abandoned there used to be a speeder which had been trapped between rockslides and was left on the track. One time we pushed it about a mile upgrade, then rode it as it coasted down the tracks. That was fun, especially going through a long tunnel. Sadly, some idiots latter pushed it off the cliff.

Ray, is that guy still riding his bicycle with an outrigger that has been made up to ride on the rails in the back country just east of Sandy Eggo? When I lived down there I always threatened to produce one of those bikes.

Steve Featherkile said:
Ray, is that guy still riding his bicycle with an outrigger that has been made up to ride on the rails in the back country just east of Sandy Eggo? When I lived down there I always threatened to produce one of those bikes.
A friend has one here in Tennessee that was actually factory made. Fun till you hit a turnout at speed.

The same friend crashed a velocipede into an ash pitā€¦yes, beer was involved.

This one came across my feed today. Colombian Passenger Rail Service recommenced and it looks like a lot of fun.

I then saw John Caugheyā€™s response to @Korm motobike postā€¦ and as you all know, once the foot is in the rabbit hole you just gotta go down the holeā€¦ you canā€™t just walk past.

ā€¦and that led me look to see whatā€™s happening in Australiaā€¦and I found Rail explorers Australia It is an Aussie company building rail bikes. They made news as their bikes are currently being used by preservationists on a rail line under threat of being paved over in Crookwell NSW (due to rails to trails legislation).

However, their main touring rail business operations appear to be out of multiple locations in the USA.

Rail Explorer USA

Has anyone done a pedal speeder trip with them?

Iā€™ve done both the North and South tour in Rhode Island. Itā€™s a nice ride. Amazing how little effort is needed. A few good pumps and they coast forever!

The Fans Friends of the East Broad Top RR are running ā€˜pedal speederā€™ trips on the 3 ft gauge in Robertsdale, PAā€¦

https://febt.org/robertsdale-museum/

Friends not fans. I had the opportunity to ā€œpumpā€ a hand car this summer before the pedal versions were delivered. The Friends (of which I am a proud member and supporter) have done a great job with their small museum, a walking tour and some restoration work in Robertsdale with plans for much more. If you visit the EBT next spring I think it is well worth the scenic drive up there. Better yet, sign up for membership and support them financially if you can. There are volunteer work sessions which have done a lot to help rebuild the EBT even before the foundation took over. The Friends are taking on a major roll in the progress south toward Saltillo.

1 Like

I think this is the same guy that posts on social media , there is one where you see a small bush on the left side, but itā€™s hiding a large rock that sends him crashing to a stop , he said just some bruises and scrapes!

The FEBT has had some growing pains with these rail bikes. At the Fall Reunion one of them was down with a broken seat back and the other was having chain alignment issues. They still managed to run a bunch of trips, but I didnā€™t elect to try it.

Hopefully they can get all the bugs worked out over the winter and have a nice attraction for museum visitors.

Personally, I liked the hit-and-miss speeder they ran for the 2022 reunion. There are some videos on Youtube of the ride that feature the back of my head!

I know, I know. It was late and I am living in a hotel for a couple of weeks. . .