Large Scale Central

There could be a problem

Terry A de C Foley sent me a picture of some of the new LGB nickel silver plated track. :frowning: I think we have a problem. It seems the plating is pealing off. Looking at it I wonder if anyone else is having that problem? Or could this be a local thing and caused by weather conditions…acid rain, an imbalance in the chemical composition of the soil etc. Anyone have any suggestions?

Warren,

That problem was reported quite some time ago - shortly after LGB started delivering the nickel-plated stuff - by various users in Germany.

From what I gather, there were several dealers who returned the stuff lock, stock and barrel.

Not a good scenario, but with all the alternatives on the market, one wonders why one would buy into one more “iffy” experiment. As soon as one read that the LGB track-cleaning machine was not to be used, one’s ears should have perked, shouldn’t they? :wink: :slight_smile: Perhaps it’s just me who surmises : “Hmmmmmm lets see, which process of nickel plating is used?”

Having listened to plenty of tales of woe from customers who got this or that plated, I was not really surprised when I heard the first complaints.
BTW if one is using steel wheels, I would think that chances are pretty good that hairline cracks in the plating will be in the offing. OTOH it’s probably just me with my “attitude”. :wink: :slight_smile:

On another note Thiel has been selling nickel plated track for a long time. I have yet to hear that any of it ever peeled. Perhaps he’s using a differnt process? :wink: :slight_smile: :wink: And yes, Thiel has a much better selection of turnouts etc. Also has a vert nice track geometry, for those who appreciate that kind of feature. :smiley:

I was warned about this problem almost as soon as it came out. kinda figured it was why they werent pushing the stuff.

I would have never considered the stuff myself. The type of railroad running I do would most likely wear it out too soon anyways. I do use steel wheels…it’s mandatory on my rr and run as hard and heavy as the layout will allow.

I too only can use steel wheels because of the heat here on the California desert. Even in cold weather I have found that plastic wheels really gum up the tracks!

The “nickel plated” track hit very high on my “WTF?” meter also. I don’t think these results would surprise anyone. I think I know what happened, though… At one point, the guys at LGB were discussing new products via cell phone.

What was said…

“I think we need to look at doing something new, perhaps a Nickel Plate Berkshire or something like that. Nothing too big, though, so it still fits around our track.”

What they heard…

“I think we need to look at doing something new, perhaps a Nickel Plate … track.”

Perhaps after they get through this whole insolvency thing, they need to switch cell carriers?

(And yes, I fully recognize the obscenity of a Berkshire trying to navigate an R1 curve. You wouldn’t expect them to suggest a small engine, would you?) :wink:

Later,

K

Kevin Strong said:
The “nickel plated” track hit very high on my “WTF?” meter also. I don’t think these results would surprise anyone. I think I know what happened, though… At one point, the guys at LGB were discussing new products via cell phone. What was said… “I think we need to look at doing something new, perhaps a Nickel Plate Berkshire or something like that. Nothing too big, though, so it still fits around our track.” What they heard… “I think we need to look at doing something new, perhaps a Nickel Plate … track.” Perhaps after they get through this whole insolvency thing, they need to switch cell carriers? (And yes, I fully recognize the obscenity of a Berkshire trying to navigate an R1 curve. You wouldn’t expect them to suggest a small engine, would you?) :wink: Later, K

Kevin, Good one! My suspicion would be that one of the LGB crew must have had Tony Koester in mind when talking about NKP Berkshires. Perhaps Tony K would buy half the production run und start a "G"ummi-Empire. NOW that would be VERY big news. :smiley: :lol:

HJ, give them credit. After all they didn’t produce yet another Big Boy…:smiley: …for R1 curves…:lol:

Warren Mumpower said:
HJ, give them credit. After all they didn't produce yet another Big Boy....:D ......for R1 curves....:lol:
I have it on good authority that there will be an announcement next week....... :lol:

Is your “good authority” the same as someone elses “reliable source”.? :lol:

Warren Mumpower said:
Is your "good authority" the same as someone elses "reliable source".? :lol:
Not tellin' Wouldn't be prudent. :D

Now , come on children , behave yourselves .
Someone asks a perfectly sensible question and the usual moron uses it as an LGB bashing excuse . Hans , if you don’t know the answer , keep your trap shut . You just make yourself look and sound even more peurile than you did before .

Plating generally detaches from base metal very quickly if there has been inadequate preparation of the base .As a supposed engineeer , wonder boy hans should know that .
The preparation process is mainly down to very thorough cleaning and chemical preparation of the base . It is often given a final dip through hot acid before going to the plating vat proper . If the electrodes are not properly connected , then the incorrect current will flow between the anode and job . This results in uneven plating giving rise to stress when the item is cooled, introducing cracking before it has even had a loco on it .
And so forth .
Any one with half a haporth of sense would NOT use plated track outdoors . It has too much going against it .
Ask yourself what advantage plated track will offer ? Well , none , unless you want it to look pretty . If plating worked , they would plate aeroplanes .
Why oh why do we always look to doing daft things to try to improve the look of something—“pity the track is brass” is a comment often heard from observers of train shows . Pity the locos are plastic doesn’t come into it . Why ? Why should the track look like steel when the loco looks like plastic ?
What do we want out of our models ?
I have mentioned PECO track many many times . Too expensive . So stick with what you think you can afford and don’t moan . Brass track looks perfectly OK to me , at least as OK as the non scale grass at the side of the track .
If you want scale looking track , either buy steel , paint brass , or use PECO .
Never , ever use plated . Remember your car bumpers ? Thimk .
Mike

Too bad for those that went out and bought a bunch of this stuff. I recommended a wait and see attitude, especially after LGB warned to not use thier track cleaning loco on the nickle plated track.

Of course, you should not have to use it, but there were reports of the loco going right through the plating.

Based on the quality and reliability of LGB track, it would be logical to assume they were making a bulletproof product. But plating scares me, because I cannot “see” the quality, thickness or surface prep that went before.

I feel especially bad for those who purchased a lot of switches… would guess that the company turmoil cannot be good for the supply or replacement parts of this new product.

Overall, the idea was kind of cool, no corrosion, but you could still solder relatively easily to it, at least much easier than stainless. And people that wanted to build switches could cut it and solder it, although having raw cuts where the interface between the plating and the base metal might not be good.

Regards, Greg

Greg Elmassian said:
Too bad for those that went out and bought a bunch of this stuff. I recommended a wait and see attitude, especially after LGB warned to not use thier track cleaning loco on the nickle plated track.

Of course, you should not have to use it, but there were reports of the loco going right through the plating.

Based on the quality and reliability of LGB track, it would be logical to assume they were making a bulletproof product. But plating scares me, because I cannot “see” the quality, thickness or surface prep that went before.

I feel especially bad for those who purchased a lot of switches… would guess that the company turmoil cannot be good for the supply or replacement parts of this new product.

Overall, the idea was kind of cool, no corrosion, but you could still solder relatively easily to it, at least much easier than stainless. And people that wanted to build switches could cut it and solder it, although having raw cuts where the interface between the plating and the base metal might not be good.

Regards, Greg

Greg,

Good points!

The peculiar part is that Thiel - the guys who have offered nickel plated track for years and years without having the peeling problems - provide a neat service: You send them your track and they plate it for you.

Of course Thiel also mentions/recommends that the plated track is best soldered with silver solder. :wink: :slight_smile:

As far as other comments are concerned, I have seen enough “not so wonderful plating” to last me the rest of my life. Of course that was on industrial products which usually are supposed to feature much superior quality to our “Toys”.

Yo H-J - you may have pursuaded me to look more closely at Thiel track especially as it is actually cheaper than PECO - AND Lorenz Schug [MBV-Schug], with whom I have had nothing but good dealings, sells the stuff.

For those who are not German readers - this is the front page, translated not by Garblefish, but my own poor brain -

‘This is what you can expect from us - a quality product “Made in Germany”. As we have been making nothing else but track for the last 25 years, it can be said that we fully understand our product. We make 11 different radii up to and including 3m, ready-to-run track, and Flexi-track in kit form up to 3m in length. The point program includes 26 different switches. As active Garden railway modellers ourselves, we fully understand what our customers require of us with regard to products and track layouts. We only offer for sale merchandise that we ourselves have proven worthy on our own home-grown layouts. We can therefore competently discuss sales points with you from a position of knowledge and experience.
As a serious manufacturer, we only advertise on these pages items that are actually available right now. We have long-term contacts with our many customers, and operate with a policy of continuous product improvement.
We have many contacts through our membership of the G1MRA and others in the world of garden railways.’

Can’t say fairer than that, now can you?

Tschuess!

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Yo TAC,

What intrigues me the most with the Thiel track - I don’t have any, since I like the smaller Code215 profiles - is the very nice geometry.

I just wish that they would make some crossings to go with their turnouts, other than that … they’ve got it all wrapped!

Hi all,

On the availability of track: going on what people, who are in the buying market aka as “looking for track components”, post in the European fora, it looks like there will be a bit of a bottleneck with the LGB track.

And the expansion and building season has barely begun! Hmmmmmmmmmm … ???

Guys- I choose to use stainless since we have very hard well water for the garden…but I have to say I have a nickle plate 9mm hand gun that has ridden in numerous holsters, glove boxes, and tool boxes over the last 20 years, and other than some edge wear it has no delamination or pitting. It probably has had 5000 rounds through it with no more than an annual cleaning, just a light coat of oil about once or twice a year and no rust or corrosion.

Plating no matter what kind is only as good as the set up (cleaning) and the thickness applied. Thin plating and poor initial prep is what most people who have problems are dealing with.

I find it hard to believe that the plate is so thin it would not stand up to a track cleaning car, especially the same manufacturers product.

Sounds like either piss poor product management to me, or the firm can’t/couldn’t find any money to really bring a decent product to market. A company in or on the verge of bankruptcy is a hard place to work

mark

Mark said:
Guys- I choose to use stainless since we have very hard well water for the garden....but I have to say I have a nickle plate 9mm hand gun that has ridden in numerous holsters, glove boxes, and tool boxes over the last 20 years, and other than some edge wear it has no delamination or pitting. It probably has had 5000 rounds through it with no more than an annual cleaning, just a light coat of oil about once or twice a year and no rust or corrosion.

Plating no matter what kind is only as good as the set up (cleaning) and the thickness applied. Thin plating and poor initial prep is what most people who have problems are dealing with.

I find it hard to believe that the plate is so thin it would not stand up to a track cleaning car, especially the same manufacturers product.

mark

Yo Mark - I’d bet a LOT of $$ that you don’t clean your nickel-plated handgun with a dry-wall sander.

I have three nickel-plated handguns - two VERY old Harrington & Richardson saturday night specials, and my late cousin’s Smith & Wesson Model 29 from 1960. All are in pretty good condition, too.

The finish on them is a lot better than the finish on me…

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

TAC - LOL No I don’t clean the little beauty with a dry wall sander, but I do use a 2 inch brass (tooth brush look alike) and a similar stainless brush on it occasionally with some pretty astrigent sovents…but it seems to shoot better when it’s dirty so it doesn’t get cleaned too often.

mark