Large Scale Central

The Texas Company twin-dome NG tank cars

Here’s something I did not know existed, but now have to model.

You fooled me Bob. I thought they were “Natural Gas”. NG

A Century + Ten of D&RGW Narrow Gauge Freight Cars has one photo and a crude plan.

Those are definitely unique for sure. Are they longer than a single dome of the same type and era?

The GRAMPS and UTLX tank cars are 29 feet long, and these are 34’ 8".

Looks like they only made 3 of them, so maybe they weren’t successful?

I didn’t want to assume but they just looked longer to me. Wonder what the thinking was and why it wasn’t successful. None of that matters, its a cool unique car that is begging to be made. Should be a fairly simple kit bash I would think if you have two donor cars. That’s of course if you don’t just build it from the ground up.

I have seen early ice refrigerator cars that were divided so the fish smell doesn’t get into the vegetables, etc.
These might have two types of liquid as well.

That is a very plausible thought. It would be interesting to know if the tanks were divided. If you look at the drawing Bob provided it lists two different capacities on each dome. So I am thinking you are right John.

That poked a memory from 2019 when I visited Train Mountain and marveled at their wine tank car.20150718_TM_Museum_640_007c

Designed to carry multiple wine types.

1 Like

They were in fact “Split” so you could hall two different products… Such as Fuel Oil, and Diesel.