Large Scale Central

The problem with a mountain railway is

Ken, I go across a brick walkway with a temporary track by pouring ballast or slag sand on top of the walkway to hold the temporary track in place.

but in 5 places I’ve actually removed the bricks for a permanent crossing of the brick paths. You can see 3 of these crossing in this picture.

These are the areas where I’ve been interested in the ladder method of roadbed contruction, because I get a fairly serious frost heave that needs to be worked back down every 2 or 3 years.

I thought about removing the blocks where it crosses the walk, but figgered the blocks are just as solid as the roadbed would be. The track can be removed in winter for snow removal.I have a RR X’ing sign that’s still needs to placed there.

For grade level crossings I would recess the track into the brick.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
That's what I did and originally it was actually slightly below the brick, but over that last 10 years it has slowly raised, assisted by me leveling and adding ballast. A couple of years ago, I was contemplating pulling the brick out and raising it. An old picture brought me to my senses that the track was raisingnot the walik sinking. For this reason, I have looked at the ladder construction methods some are using. It would be my desire for it to not move or raise, but alas there is always some movement by something and if to rigid things break, so I still contemplate. That contemplation is associated with a certain amount of laziness, also. ;-)
Ric Golding said:
HJ
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
That's what I did and originally it was actually slightly below the brick, but over that last 10 years it has slowly raised, assisted by me leveling and adding ballast. A couple of years ago, I was contemplating pulling the brick out and raising it. An old picture brought me to my senses that the track was raisingnot the walik sinking. For this reason, I have looked at the ladder construction methods some are using. It would be my desire for it to not move or raise, but alas there is always some movement by something and if to rigid things break, so I still contemplate. That contemplation is associated with a certain amount of laziness, also. ;-)
Ric,

As one of the “great contemplators” my thoughts are with you. As long as you think about it, nothing will go wrong. :lol: :lol: Well, you may get a slight headache if you contemplate too hard, but that’s minor to other things that can happen. :wink: :slight_smile: