Large Scale Central

The perils of snowplowing

Hi all,
Yesterday we got about an inch and a half of new snow, so at dawn I set about opening the mainline. The consist was my Russell snowplow X-67, 2-8-0 #1159 and caboose #01157.
Things went fine as we set out from the garage down to the main track. It was a splendid morning, albeit only 5 degrees. The grade is a steady 2% downhill from here and it was easy going:

Once out on the mainline things began to go awry as we approached the water tank. The snowplow derailed, so I uncoupled the locomotive and began backing up. The locomotive derailed on the south switch at Goodwin and in disgust I left the whole outfit where it sat until things warmed up a bit.

Later in the day I retrieved the equipment. As is often the case with snowplowing, some things got broken. the caboose has a dangling step and the pilot plow on the locomotive split in two. Somewhere I also lost the entire compound air compressor and have yet to find it. Oh well!

Cheers,
Matt

2 Likes

Oh yea, I know the perils of running a plow extra. This plowing accident in 2017 on the C.V.S.Ry. resulted in the death of a plastic engineer and caused the railroad to annul plowing operations for nearly 5 years.

1 Like

When it’s that cold outside, it’s a good reason to stay INSIDE! :innocent: (If I want cold, a beer is GOOD! :yum: )

2 Likes

My new strategy is to plow only what I can see through the window next to the stove! Today is a perfect opportunity to do just that.

Super nice photos Matt.
What a terrible crash Jon.
We had this mishap in 2008.

Since then we have stopped photographing accidents in case they be used against the RR in a court of law. Speaking off the record we have had plenty. :grin:

Plowing in our little worlds is really tough and it can be hard going with things breaking but when it all works out it is fun.

Matt, when I saw that first photo I thought it was a 1:1 historical shot!

Yep! Same thought crossed my mind :sunglasses:

The Suleski Ttransportation wreck train is availible (for normal service fees) to help all you snow plowers that can’t stay on the tracks.

1 Like

Scott, great to see you posting!
Jon, when I talked to you yesterday and you were plowing snow, in my mind I had the scale wrong. I was thinking 1 to 1.
Matt, Great pictures!

Actually it was 1:1 before your call. Did the railroad through the window after the driveway while warming up by the fire :hotsprings:

Thanks to all who replied! Snowplowing is where I get the most enjoyment from the hobby, along with a lot of the frustration. There have been arduous days over the years:

Good to know Suleski Transportation is still a going concern!

Cheers,
Matt

1 Like

2022 marks the 30th year for Suleski Transportation (in G Scale)

1 Like