Large Scale Central

The other smell of Spring

Wafts of WD40 fumes in the garage, flextrack being assembled. The push is on, the weather forecast calls for 20ºC+ temps by the middle of next week. Perfect for installing track.

Good luck on your endeavor. I’ve had some ROW surveyed for over three years now waiting for motivation to lay track. I think this may be the year that at least 10 or 20 feet gets installed.

Now this is the second reference I have seen in the last half hour to WD40. All of which, providing I do not forget, reminds me that I need to service the mechanisms on my track switches.

Extract from Locksley Hall by Alfred, Lord Tennyson -

In the Spring a fuller crimson comes upon the robin’s breast;
In the Spring the wanton lapwing gets himself another crest;

In the Spring a livelier iris changes on the burnish’d dove;
In the Spring a young man’s fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love
and of course should be added:-
In the Spring the thoughts of working on the railroad should be born.

Thanks Jon,

I have material for 162 ft (27 6 foot sections) on hand, time will tell if it’s enough or too much. Right now it’s “thread some more” time; then I put it outside right away so it gets washed and acclimatized.

Ten sections out the door, seventeen to go. Deburred the ends of the rails this evening, so I can get with the program good and early.

“The other smell of Spring” Pollen?

For me yesterday I pulled 2 buckets of weeds from the mainline and today I have a sore throat. I think it was the pollen.

Why did I think this was gonna be about manure? That’s what I remember smelling in the spring from the farmers fields!

Redneck engineering flowchart.

flow

ROTFLMAO
That is on the wall at my office.
Bob C.

It was a somewhat lazy day, tomorrow I need to get some Styrofoam to elevate the track at Thusis.

The plan is to see how far stocks last by getting in the main tracks first together with a passing track at both Bergün and Thusis.

I have a sneaky feeling that more track will be needed, not to mention a few extra Split-Jaw clamps. Six LGB turnout motors, a whole bunch of #12 landscaping cable and and and …

Oh well, it’s only money. AND I’m sure glad I didn’t dream any bigger, besides I had my “dream layout” in my previous life as in “Been there, done that, didn’t need a T-shirt”.

Caught the smell of glo-fuel a while ago and was instantly wafted back 30 years to the model airplane flying field. Oh. They call it “Nitro” now.

My seven switches all work very smoothly now. WD works wonders.

There used to be a UK tv ad many years ago which was ’ a DD (double D) works wonders’. Well it did, it was a beer.

Watch out, when using WD40…it has been suggested many times in the past, that it is not “Plastic” compatible…just like some other petroleum based lubricants.

some “Plastics” may endure it, like the plastic used for oil based lubricant containers, but others become very brittle with its use.

I have had several instances where the plastic was damaged with its use…so beware.

If anyone has any knowledge of this situation, with actual chemical facts…I would very much like to hear it…

What we used to aid slipping tie strips to rails, was just pain old liquid dish-washing detergent.

I note your caution Fr. Fred, many thanks. However, it is raining now and will be showery again tomorrow so I don’t think the WD will last long out there.

Neither has it deterred the pigeons yet!

Also 3 in 1. Keep that away from your trains too.