Large Scale Central

The Mansfield Branch of the GN/BN

As I was wandering, lost in cyberspace, I came across this site, which led to this site.

I guess that, growing up in the area, I was aware of the branch, seeing cuts of boxcars coming out of Moses Coulee, but it really never came to the surface of my semi-conscious mind.

This gives me a new focus for my nascent garden railroad. I had been thinking of trying to model parts of the Scenic Sub of the old Great Northern, but my ground didn’t really lend itself to that. This branch, however is perfect for my ground. I have the perfect coulee up which to run the track.

This is so cool!

madwolf

edit. Actually, this should probably be in the Prototype section, but what the heck.

That small depot at Douglas should be an easy build.

Thanks for that, Steve. The reasons for building some of these old spurs are fascinating!

How is it possible to load a boxcar with grain - some sort of pressure-driven hose mechanism? Or was it already bagged?

Honestly, I don’t know, as I’ve never seen it done.

I found this on Wikipedia:
“Even loose loads such as coal, grain and ore can be carried in a boxcar, with boards over the side door openings, at later times grain transport used metal reinforced cardboard which was nailed over the door and could be punctured by a grain auger for unloading. This was more common in earlier days; it was susceptible to losing much loading during the journey, and damaged the boxcar. It was also impossible to mechanically load and unload. Grain can also be transported in boxcars designed specifically for that purpose; specialized equipment and procedures are required to load and unload the cars.”

On another site, I read that the boxcars were filled from the top by gravity, using a ten to twelve inch hose to fill to the top of the boards on the door. One fellow said they were hot, dusty tiring work to unload. I was offered a job doing that in the Palouse, but elected to operate a D-6 cat on a wheat ranch instead.

Delaware and Hudson did it that way before covered hoppers were born

That’s some really beautiful country there. The photography is great too, and I love the look of those old weathered, rusty box cars.

Too bad a tourist line couldnt operate on that line, maybe the occasional excursion train if they dont pull up the tracks.

Sadly, the tracks were taken up shortly after the last run. It is listed as a Rail to Trail, so the right of way has been preserved. I plan to hike it sometime this spring. Summer would be too hot.

Steve Featherkile said:
Sadly, the tracks were taken up shortly after the last run. It is listed as a Rail to Trail, so the right of way has been preserved. I plan to hike it sometime this spring. Summer would be too hot.
Mate, I wished we lived closer. You'd be stuck with my bad jokes for the length of the trail.

You’d want to be in the lead, too. I’ll let you guess the reason!

One old fart deserves the other…:smiley: