Large Scale Central

The King of Gondor Returns

Folks;

As promised, here is a photo of the finished locomotive. The nameplates are mounted, and the Kadees are a triumph of junkyard engineering. Roundhouse has no provisions for mounting aftermarket couplers, so I really had to improvise, using the original Roundhouse drawbars. Thank goodness for JB Weld with steel dust!

The nameplates presented another challenge. The company PetsMart is now using makes mostly blanks shaped like chewing bones or hearts or other “cutesy” shapes. The only mostly rectangular ones were about the size of military dog tags, plus they had a loop to put a chain through. Glad I can still hold a Dremel with a cutting wheel steady. I still have one bottle of viable Floquil Engine Black left, so there are flat black spots from touchup work. Overall I am happy with how things turned out, considering I have had to recover from a stroke.

Best, David Meashey

4 Likes

Wow that is a great looking live steam Garratt. It looks to be well worthy of the name.

When is the maiden run?
We would love to see a video of it.

1 Like

Jon;

Sorry. I don’t know how to post a video, but I hope to run the locomotive for the first time at Steve King’s battery/steam-up on June 6th. I will try to get some stills.

Best, David Meashey

P.S. Unless I have a new phone by then; I don’t even have enough storage left for another video.

Maybe someone else at the steam up can video it.
But if not, that’s ok.
No worries.

Dave, I’m all thumbs with this stuff, but fwiw here’s my process:

1. Take a video with my phone
  2. Transfer it to my computer (I use a USB cord)
  3. Go to YouTube and “My Channel” there (free account, if you need to create it)
  4. Drag and drop my file to there
  5. Fill in the title and description, and answer a few questions
  6. Copy the auto-generated web URL and paste it into my post here

I’m sure there are better ways, but this has been working for me.

1 Like

I do the exact same thing except for:
2B. run it thru the video editor . (I Movie)
6B. delete it from the phone to free up space.

I absolutely agree with that option!

I was unable to take any videos today. The locomotive developed a bad leak in a steam line to the front engine unit. Steve King and Mike Nataluk graciously installed new steam lines, and the locomotive ran beautifully on the second trial run. That left no time for a video, but here is one still.

Best, David Meashey