Large Scale Central

The DÜRR 🌵 (A Trilogy in 5 Parts) PART 2

i am afraid, that our hyperactive Aussie will face a grave problem in a year or two. - everything done!
he will bore himself to death.
he’ll sit, watch his four steelboxes with too much steel, plants and dirt to start over a new.

btw, Bill i officially declare you to be a Non-Devoner!

Korm,

Oh no! Does this mean, I have deviated from the Prime Devonation? That would make me no longer, a Dev-on-tee?!

Should I have spent more time praying for Dev-on Intervention? Oh Devon, why hast thou forsaken me?! :pray:

Oh crap what is my religion now?

I better look it up…

Is this it? Oh, double crap. According to the internet, there’s even a term for those who deviate from the Word of Devon!

Korm, am I a devonant now?

Devonant (noun)
/ˈdevənənt/

Definition:
A person who is not only devoted to making grand, elaborate plans but also sees them through to completion with undue haste and passion, especially in the context of creative projects like garden railways.

Usage:
“He’s a true Devonant, always crafting intricate designs and making sure every detail comes to life but never as planned.”

Related adjective: Devonantic
“Pressured by an upcoming club meeting, Herself’s Devonantic approach to her new garden railway project ensured it was both imaginative and mostly realised in record time.”

Why didn’t my parents raise me Kormish? I’d be inside today.

because that is a mix of “Komik” (comic) and Amish (allowing bicycle dinamos to power model trains)

Things are starting to slow down on the DÜRR this week. It’s landscaping week and it can’t be put off any longer. Though the days are getting longer and daylight savings time is in effect, it’s getting harder to reach the sections we need to work on without risking damaging sections already in place.

The positive news is that the station takes up a lot of land leaving less for us to landscape! Unfortunately the hill looks quite small when the station is placed nearby.

But wait! We still need to play with the watering systems. It’s actually a good time to go to the hardware store to get some irrigation pipe connectors instead of landscaping.

Cut, clipped and connected. Well that was faster than expected. So we start back on the difficult section of the garden.

…and to paraphrase that famous quote:

My fellow LargeScale Centralians, even with the station removed, I think this cut will be our Achilles heel.

Because there’s no easy place to stand we are densely planting mini-mondo grass to over grow and stabilise the area leaving us enough room to place one foot on the dense grass and the other on these two small flagstones outside the cut.

At this point, we are holding off adding the second piece of edging until we are happy with the planting. It’s a double edge sword, as in some ways, it would be easier to plant things if we knew exactly where the edging and irrigation were to be placed.

Sigh…

We had to lean from the outside to do the plantings, it was too narrow to be inside the cut and plant at the same time without cracking our heads on the rock.

Here we stuffed sphagnum moss in cracks prone to losing soil.

Hopefully we can get a glamour shot in a few months time.

1 Like

Hmmm when does the track go in …

I’m not sure Sean.

I’ve certainly been Morris Dancing in this build, finding there is a double edged sword between planning and playing.

Cliff and Hollywood have pointed out I’m moving way too fast for LSC building standards, despite my attempts at devoningering. Shockingly this has led to me being excommunicated from the Church of Sinsley, declared a Devonant (a non-devoner) and a butt modeller!

Luckily I have been accepted by the Kormish People possibly due to my excessive use of umlauts. However, even their high priest, has also warned of building too fast.

Thankfully the DÜRR is still a Trilogy in 5 parts and even I have no inkling of what is in PART 3.

However I’m looking forward to laying a golden spike in the Transcontinental Planter Box even if its done under DÜRESS. :laughing:

LSC Dictionary

I’ve done that a couple times myself over the years and it gets better every time!

1 Like

Sounds like you’re planning where stepping places will be, which (speaking as a person who didn’t always do that) is wise. Because, as I’ve learned, whether you plan on stepping near a spot or not, in the end you will be stepping somewhere nearby! :smiley:

1 Like

I think the stepping stones would have been an after thought if it weren’t such a big step up into the planter box. Getting on to the rim, immedialtly requires another place to plant a foot.

Maybe a nasty rusty old passenger car step stool might fit in with the box:

Thats much better looking than the cinder block I’m using, Cliff.

Cliff,
I’m telling Bill the truth. That isn’t a step stool it’s Cliffs “Squatty Potty” that resides in his Pullman Bathroom.

1 Like

So Rooster, what you’re actually saying was the picture Cliff sent was …

….in essence a stool sample?

:poop:

Incidentally, here’s one I prepared in 2021

I’m finally facing the nemesis’s of our railway; the cut and the 3% grade. This has been a bit of a challenge as there is risk of stepping on completed parts, and the soil is quite compacted.

Sean, I’m really hoping this is not the area of future hiccups that you have foretold.

1 Like

i am not quite sure, what you are talking about.
the uphill grade on the mountain of your sandbox, or the connection between the sandboxes?

What!

Korm, are you saying bridges are evil?

Subconsciously this must be the reason why I haven’t been searching for the Bridge Making MasterClass.

And now that I think about it, It’s probably why I don’t know what’s happening in The DÜRR :scorpion: (A Trilogy in 5 Parts) PART 3, 4 or 5.

As Sean will tell you, my trestles have been my nemesis.

nemeses?

But I intend to slay those bridge-dragons next season.

Good luck on yours.

öööh, vott?

i haven’t mentioned bridges yet

i just wanted to get sure, about what you are writing, before fireing a wise-crack.

repeat: the uphill grade on the mountain of your sandbox, or the connection between the sandboxes?

why? 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

forgive me Korm, but I don’t understand