Large Scale Central

The Bachmann "Emily" Sterling Single...upgrades

Egadzooks…what have we started here…would Terry approve…!!!

Anyone added a headlight to emily? If yes, what did install and how.

A Stirling Single, or most British steam locos, did not have “Headlights”, as we had in North America.

They did have very small lanterns, that were fitted on the front deck, and top of the boiler front, on brackets. These small lights were not meant to light up the right-of-way. They were used for indicating a train code of some sort…perhaps Chis Vernell, or someone else might give a better description of these lanterns…and their purpose.

I’m thinking of including the appropriate brackets, but doubt that I would ever attempt to mount operating lanterns on them

If you wanted to operate a lantern or two; you could purchase the lanterns from the same supplier as the other parts…I think he has them…and using very small LEDS, they could be lighted…

As regards ‘lighting’, British rules were indeed very archaic as regards the method used to light the way. British railway enginemen drove in almost complete darkness due the reluctance of the governing body to modernise. Even in the 1960s/1970s when locomotives were fitted with modern lighting, enginemen were forbidden to use the lighting and forced to hang lanterns on the front of the locomotive. These were attached to small brackets. Later on British Rail allowed the locomotive lighting to be used. The position of the lamp/lamps determined the type of train, much like the American usage of flags.

The position of the lamp/lamps denoted the classification of the train.

http://www.oliviastrains.com/pages/69/0/RE_SPRAYS___MAIN

Please be advised that at least THREE companies make suitable - OPERATING - locomotive lamps in 16mm size that would be more than suitable for ‘Emily’. They come in rather fetching white or red, and mine are from Chuffed-2-bits. About $18-20 each, mind.

tac, ig, ken the GFT and The Right of Way Boys

Anyone tried to fit a sleuth or Piko type smoke generator in the Emily smokestack?

Re the recent posts about lamps on the Singles: As with everything else about this series of locos, nothing seems to be standard. The pictures in my book show some engines with no apparent lamp brackets at all. Some have brackets above the smokebox centered at the front edge. Some show what appears to be a lamp bracket mounted a little over halfway up the front of the chimmney on both short and tall chimmnies. Some had brackets on both smokebox and chimmney. If there were brackets on the bufferbeam, some had only one, centered. Some showed four (none in the center), and some showed five (one centered). If there were four or five, they were not evenly spaced, but were in two wide pairs nearer to the outer sides of the bufferbeam.

If lamps appeared in the photos: None showed lamps on the chimmney brackets, and none showed three lamps. Single lamps were sometimes on the smokbox and sometimes on the bufferbeam. Dual lamps were usually smokebox and bufferbeam but sometimes both on the buffer beam. In all of the in-service period photos, the lamps were of some dark color and often rather small. Only the photos of preserved No.1 running in the 1930s or later showed the lamps in white and large as became the standard British practice.

As Tim Brien pointed out the number and positions of the lamps was not for illumination, but to signify the type and class of train. Please, somebody fill us in on the meanings of the patterns and when the lamps changed to large and white.

Is everybody having fun yet configuring their Emily conversions?

**Ted Tuck said:**Please, somebody fill us in on the meanings of the patterns and when the lamps changed to large and white.

Try Googling British railway headlamp codes. The codes were modified over the years, and some railway companies had variations of their own.

As an aside, Bachmann’s single lamp over the left-hand buffer (if you’re facing the loco) is a goods (freight) code; Thomas with Annie & Clarabel should have a single lamp at the base of the chimney for ‘stopping passenger train’ – although it was apparently not unknown on some branch lines for that lamp to be placed on the footplate over the centre of the bufferbeam – saved the enginemen from having to reach up to the top of the smokebox. One imagines they behaved when the inspector was around :slight_smile:

Anyone get their parts yet from the UK? If so, be nice to see a picture of all of the. I have mine on order.

I bought an Emily Sunday… I may have to get another in August. This thread sounds to be very interesting and would be neat to convert this over to a prototype model…I doubt my daughter would part with hers… LOL

Hi Ted,

Here is a link: it starts with signal box bell codes, but scroll down a bit and the details are there - note that they changed - twice!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/3-sigs/bellhead.htm

The lamps were always there for signalmen to use being only position lights for the class of train they were on; that way the signalmen could verify the train was on time, (& had not broken down or other reason for stopping between signal boxes) and it was in order when it passed the signal box.

Lamps changed to white under the LNER; before then (1923) they were I think in the case of the GNR loco green, but that maybe wrong. Generally each loco had its own set, as the locos had a single crew - they looked after it except for heavy maintenance. Under the LNER they would have been ‘common user’ ; the large express engines may have had special sets (like the blue A4 class Pacific’s?)

That stopped when the 8 hour day was introduced, and then cleanliness began to drop, locos became ‘common user’ in the different links (passenger/mixed traffic/goods/shunting etc). This became more and more the case as time went on, so locos ended up filthy externally, but still ran.

The lamp iron on the chimmney was used generally prior to about 1903 - 6 when some order was introduced, and the chimmney lamp iron was dropped to the top of the smokebox; it was being phased out anyway as boilers became larger chimmneys (US - stacks) became shorter they would not fit there. The second change was the one mentioned in the above link.

Yours Peter.

Useful post there, Peter, thanks. @Fred - I’m just happy that my plan came good for you all who took advantage of it. I ‘ghost-posted’ it via a pal in UK on THE G scale forum in UK and so far it has been ignored.

BTW, I was banned from that site for using the word ‘anal’ with regard to the red-box foamers who lovingly and salaciously made a movie of every time a BIG RED BOX arrove on their door-step, and the opening of it to reveal the toy train inside…

tac, ig, ken the GFT & The Sunshine Holiday Home for Pets Pie Company Boys

john papadonis said:

Anyone tried to fit a sleuth or Piko type smoke generator in the Emily smokestack?

If you axed this on the Bachmann large-scale forum then you’ve already seen my response, in case you are also called ‘pathia’…

Just in case this is NOT the case, here y’are -

Depends which one you fit - Seuthe is the manufacturer’s brand-name, not a specific unit - HERE are the G-scale units -

Seuthe Smoke Unit Application Chart
Seuthe - smoke unit information

Product Type Voltage Power Input,(Approx) Ma Connecting Wires
NO 5 1 4.5 - 6 260 2
NO 6 1 10 - 14 140 2
NO 7 1 11 - 16 140 2
NO 8 1 16 - 22 100 2
NO 9 2 8 - 14 140 Plug In
NO 12 2 16 - 22 70 2
NO 99 2 8 - 14 140 2
NO 100 2 10 - 16 120 2
NO 20 3 10 - 16 120 Plug-In-Type
NO 21 3 10 - 16 120 1
NO 22 4 10 - 16 120 2
NO 23 4 16 - 22 70 2
NO 27 7 10 - 16 120 2
NO 28 7 16 - 22 70 2
NO 117 5 16 - 18 50 2
NO 490 6 6 - 7 800 2
NO 491 6 6 - 7 800 2
NO 500 6 8 - 12 700 2
NO 501 6 8 - 12 700 2
NO 503 6 10 - 16 350 2

One of these will fit the stack, but whether or not it will melt it, is anybody’s guess. No doubt you’ll find out soon enuff.

Me, I leave un-smoking locos the way they come out of the box - there has to be a good reason why they don’t have one from the start.

Fitting one is not just a matter of poking it down the stack and connecting it up to a couple of handy wires, they need fitting by somebody who knows what he is doing.

tac, ig, ken the GFT & The Fit at Yer Own Risk Boys

Jerry Barnes said:

Anyone get their parts yet from the UK? If so, be nice to see a picture of all of the. I have mine on order.

SECOND ATTEMPT:

Sorry All. Somehow pictures, which scrolled properly when previewed, were cropped on the right when posted. I have redited them and resized them. (I think I saw somwhere that they could be no larger than 800 pixels wide.) So let’s try again and see if they match my descriptions this time. - Ted

Here are three pictures of the parts I received:

First is the backhead and the parts that come with it on the left, the smokebox cover on the right, and the two part brake standard below it.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/awrypres/Parts1x.jpg)

Second shows the working buffers and the couplers.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/awrypres/Parts2x.jpg)

Third the vacuum brake pipe set on the left over the two brown wire “hoses”, a red wire “pipe”, and the heat pipe set on the right. Note there are two sprues in each set, so you get extra parts to configure as you choose. The sets have one sprue in common and one different.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/awrypres/Parts3x.jpg)

Sorry this took so long. It has been a real adventure.

Ted

Let us hope the adventure is over.

Thanks Ted,

Be sure to post as you put them on, not sure where a few go!

jerry

Oh this is going to look nice when it’s done. Can’t wait to see the finished result!

Of course, the day these pictures get posted my package shows up! LOL!

Excellent!

…(http://www.freethoughtnation.com/components/com_comment/joscomment/emoticons/funny/images/devil.png)…

Jerry Barnes said:

Of course, the day these pictures get posted my package shows up! LOL!

Glad you got them. What next, should I remove the pictures, or will you return the parts?

Very interested so please post some pics as you go. Especially of the method you use to fill the hole for the front face.

Did anyone ever move on the holes for the splasher?