Large Scale Central

Templot User Help Needed

Been looking at different software packages and websites with turnout drawings, and like the versatility of Templot 2, but being a European software package with there terminology makes it hard for my mind to grasp the steps involved to design a custom turnout. Getting better on that front.

If anyone can help me with the steps to make a simple crossover as one assembly that would help.

I am only interested in #4 turnouts and like the turnout transitions at this size. Also limited on space and this is a narrow gauge layout.

In making a #4 turnout I discovered a 10 foot radius section of track is almost perfect for the diverging route.

Yes the software can do a LGB 160xx design with many steps but want a slightly smoother transition on the crossover than a 8 foot diameter.

You can post here of send me a PM.

Thanks

Dennis

Templot. Ai yi yi. What a poorly designed program. He not only uses euro-centric jargon (which is easy enough to decypher) he also uses non-standard menuing and key controls. I bought a license because it looked neat, and “how hard can it be?” Fought with it for ages, and finally gave up. Too bad, it looks like the users that actually get it to work build some very nifty trackwork.

Dennis,

Can’t help you with that …lot. I paid for my first copy of CADrail back in 1994. I looked at most/many of the other stuff that is available for layout design and turnout design. I still prefer CADrail over all the others when it comes to designing turnouts and/or any other 2D CAD design, including layout design (which was the original purpose).

A bit of a learning curve but worth the effort if you have all kinds of projects that need an accurate drawing and can accurately be converted to another format to generate input for CNC machines.

As Bob (the Boss) mentioned, not conforming to standard menus and key controls is a non starter most of the time.

BTW using a 10ft rad for a #4 sure won’t save you space.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Dennis,

Can’t help you with that …lot. I paid for my first copy of CADrail back in 1994. I looked at most/many of the other stuff that is available for layout design and turnout design. I still prefer CADrail over all the others when it comes to designing turnouts and/or any other 2D CAD design, including layout design (which was the original purpose).

A bit of a learning curve but worth the effort if you have all kinds of projects that need an accurate drawing and can accurately be converted to another format to generate input for CNC machines.

As Bob (the Boss) mentioned, not conforming to standard menus and key controls is a non starter most of the time.

BTW using a 10ft rad for a #4 sure won’t save you space.

I have had Cadrail about that long also. For some reason my brain keeps rejecting the concept of this package.

Templot2 is now free, just download it. Yes the Menus are somewhat confusing, but really do not want to design my whole railroad with it just some turnouts.

It does have the 45mm setup with it and comes out fine once you calibrate your printer for the program. the 10ft Radius rail will reduce the time for bending the divergent rail., just some slight bends and it should fit.

You are correct on the turnout length will be longer for a #4 but my trains will be short, 6 cars or less caboose and engine.

I will be using 120xx and 160xx turnouts also. need several crossovers and thought making them would be cheaper than buying 2 turnouts for each crossover.

Beside that I wanted to build some several years.

I hear you.

5 ft rad is the largest that will give you a conventional frog i.e. the radius of the diverging route stop at or before the frog intersect. If you’re happy with the rad continuing through the frog (like the toy train track) then you can go larger. If you like me to I can also modify the examples to show the center distance required for parallel tracks, along with the relative length of the turnouts.(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LSC/No4Turnouts.jpg)

If you desire proper geometry (prototypical) on turnouts there are very few shortcuts. The same applies on track work.

And here are the relative lengths

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LSC/No4Turnouts02.jpg)

Interesting:

Went and did some measurements, if I did this correctly?

160xx measures 13 1/4" to the point.

My #4 drawing in Templot measures 17 to the point

This is measured to the beginning of the turnout.

Before you look allover, have a look at the Fast Track templates http://www.handlaidtrack.com/On2-8-Turnout-Printable-Track-Template-p/tt-on3-t-4.htm

You can download it as a PDF and take it from there. That gives you the proper tie placement and all that other stuff in NG manner.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Before you look allover, have a look at the Fast Track templates http://www.handlaidtrack.com/On2-8-Turnout-Printable-Track-Template-p/tt-on3-t-4.htm

You can download it as a PDF and take it from there. That gives you the proper tie placement and all that other stuff in NG manner.

Thanks I will look at that.