Large Scale Central

Taking a somewhat tactical approach.

I wanted to show off my European railroad as it sat on carpet last year. You see, It was and still is in its infancy, as far as working on it. So, I laid it out on the floor in my basement and thought maybe I should take some pictures after I get a general idea of what I was trying to achieve. I used a digital camera for the shots. As I took some shots, I was totally disgusted because everything looked so chaotic or unreal as it were. So, I decided, what if I come in to the scenes with close ups. Like shooting one picture through the cab of a Scania semi and onto the Taurus engine just on the other side. When I did this, it looked so real, that even my father could not discern between it being a model or a real engine. The point is: getting up close and personal with photography of railroad scenes is very important if your desire is to show them off as near as real as possible. Of course, I am merely an amateur here. I am sure there are posters up in here that have years of photography experience. I just wanted to share a sort of angle on how one can shoot a picture of a scene and have it come out as if it were a real picture of a real working railroad.

Also, I took a city scape scene poster and planted that bad boy behind some of my rolling stock. I snapped a few pictures and what I got in return were some really nice and fairly realistic shots. The Calanda Brau cars looked as if they were real with the background of a cityscape. Totally amateur, but for a few amateur shots, fairly real looking. Lighting was also a factor as well.

We all try to do that, to some extent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don’t. More often then not, we use pix to tell a story, whether it’s building something or operating our railroad realistically or just runnin a train.

Don’t be afraid to show your pix, we love pix. (since some of us can’t read, Right, Rooster?)…:wink:

I know, I know but I am shy…LOL

Stacy

Stacy Krausmann said:

Stacy

I didn’t say that YOU had to be in the picture…:wink:

Stacy Krausmann said:

Stacy

I didn’t say that YOU had to be in the picture…:wink:

Got the hiccups, Ken?

Steve Featherkile said:

Got the hiccups, Ken?

That was funny Steve. Actually I think I had the hiccups the other day when I tried out the chat area and kept double posting my responses. Needless to say, I backed out gracefully until I could calm down…

LOL :slight_smile:

PS Thanks Ken.

Steve Featherkile said:

Got the hiccups, Ken?

Hmmmmmmmm, wonder how that happened…damned gremlins…:wink:

Stacy, yes the most striking model photography is at “eye” level with the models. “Helicopter” shots are good for showing an overall track plan or town scene, but most “wow” shots are at eye level.

But sometimes helicopter shots can be interesting too.

Yes lets see some photos Stacy.

It is like David said if you want to get a realistic shot you need to get down to eye level just like when a real train is going by your camera.

Taking photos, staging shots and making videos is a really fun aspect of this hobby that I really enjoy.
Here is a link to one of my videos on youtube that fims the train from different angles but most of them are from the perspective of a 3" tall man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fdma2XxnpE I really like how this one starts coming through the grass.

Do post some photos for us Stacy.

Todd Haskins said:

Yes lets see some photos Stacy.

It is like David said if you want to get a realistic shot you need to get down to eye level just like when a real train is going by your camera.

Taking photos, staging shots and making videos is a really fun aspect of this hobby that I really enjoy.
Here is a link to one of my videos on youtube that fims the train from different angles but most of them are from the perspective of a 3" tall man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fdma2XxnpE I really like how this one starts coming through the grass.

Do post some photos for us Stacy.

I will Todd. I will decide which shots and post a few up in here and await the laughs. LOL

Just kidding. Seriously, I will post them as soon as I can get them from my camera to the laptop and then onto this site. Thanks for the interest…

Stacy

Here’s one of our member’s railroads, desert, even.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/U5kievu-G48

Pretty cool Steve. Allot work went into that layout for sure…

I like the bridge.

Stacy

Stacy Krausmann said:

Also, I took a city scape scene poster and planted that bad boy behind some of my rolling stock. I snapped a few pictures and what I got in return were some really nice and fairly realistic shots. The Calanda Brau cars looked as if they were real with the background of a cityscape. Totally amateur, but for a few amateur shots, fairly real looking. Lighting was also a factor as well.

This one I would like to see.